Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Blurring Photo Edges in PSP

Hi Folks.

I'm trying to blur photo edges in order to create a montage. I've tried using "edge effects" but that seems to blur the whole photo. I've tried using "Image/Picture Frame/Edge Smudge" but that makes a white border.

So how do I do this?

This is the kind of blurred-edge photo montage I'm trying to do:
    http://www.andrewhoy.com/ (the montage right on the intro page)

here's another example: http://www.foxpitteventing.co.uk/

If you can help me with this you will be my Hero! or Heroine!
    thanks,
    elizabeth
    IP

Default Re: Blurring Photo Edges in PSP

xara xtreme can do it - dl the free trial
    -=Bob=-
    IP

Okay, here's how I do it. Not necessarily the only or best method, but one way of doing it.

First, the key to making a Montage of Photos or any other graphic is using layers.

Look at the first montage. After I resized the photos, I pasted them into my blank canvas by selecting "paste a new layer." This is the most important element in the method how I make a montage.

Now, look at photo montage picture 2. You will notice that the photos are re-arranged, blurred and some appear to be 'cut-outs' of the originals. This was all done with the help of Layers.

For general bluring, using the soften brush, it can help soften some edges. Below are three graphics (two of them montages) which hopefully will give you an idea of how to go about it. I didn't go into a lot of detail on how to do it, but if you have questions let me know. It's a lot of fun to make a montage!

Note: the jpg (london1.jpg) was untouched with PSP tools. The jpg (london2.jpg) was manipulated using layers, contour tool, magic wand, fill tool. The third graphic (londoninstruct.jpg) in the next posting has the instructions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	london1.jpg 
Views:	2217 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	26173   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	london2.jpg 
Views:	2209 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	26174  

IP

Here is the londoninstruct.jpg with the instructions for how london1.jpg was turned into the modified london2.jpg.

Name:	londoninstruct.jpg 
Views:	2255 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	26175  
    IP

Sorry, got called away before I had a chance to finish posting the last picture. This method is for general blurring, it's called gaussian blur.

The key here once again is to user layers, and also using the Lasso Selection tool to highlight the areas you want to be blurred. I exagerrated the blurs in the 'London3.jpg' to show you the effect. Sorry, didn't have time to do it up proper, have to leave soon.

The Gaussian Blur tool can be found under ADJUST>BLUR>GAUSSIAN BLUR. You can adjust the radius of the blur using the slider tool.

The other blur options are in the same area, they are BLUR, BLUR MORE, MOTION BLUR and RADIAL BLUR. Play around with these options to get the effect you want.

Now, if you want the areas around the object to appear lighter or whiter, just use the lighten Tool at a low transparency setting. It may take some experimentation here.

Okay, really got to leave now! Here's the last jpg with blurring slightly exaggerating use the lasso selection tool and the gaussian blur.

Name:	london3.jpg 
Views:	2133 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	26176  
    IP

Okay, here is my last entry. The first on the photos used in the final montage.
    Again, Layers are key to manipulation in a montage.

The second pic is the montage I spent a little more time with, not perfect but getting more pleasing to the eye.

Name:	londonphotos.jpg 
Views:	2066 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	26183   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	montagelondon.jpg 
Views:	2059 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	26185  

Last edited by jamesmc; 31 May 2006 at 12:10 AM.
    IP

Jamesmc,

thank you very much, you are a lifesaver! I am trying out your suggestions and will post some followup questions.
    Thanks again!
    IP

Hi Jamesmc,

I tried to use the soften brush to blur/soften the edges of the photo in this montage, but you still see the photo edges. Where is the lasso tool in PSP? Is this what I need to do what you did with the London Tower image?

Thanks immensely!
    Elizabeth

Name:	montage-3fotos2.jpg 
Views:	2069 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	26297  
    IP

Hi again,

The lasso tool is also known as the Freehand Selection Tool. It's just easier to call it the lasso tool. See the picture below demonstrating where are the PSP Tool Bar this tool would be. I have Version 9 of PSP Pro, so yours may be in a different location.

Use the Lasso tool to trace around the portion or selection of your photograph which you want to blur. Notice in the picture below there are three stages to the Gaussian Blur applied to the Lassoed Selection. (The Gaussian Blur tool is located under

Adjust>Blur>Gaussian Blur...shown in picture.

In the first picture on the bottom left shows the lassoed selection with no blur applied. The middle portion of the picture on the bottom shows a gaussian blur of five (5) percent. The bottom right portion of picture 1 shows a fifty (50) percent gaussian blur applied.

On the middle left there is a Gaussian Blur done on that lassoed selection of fifteen (15) percent. I believe this is what you initially wanted to do?

You may have to zoom in to get those last bits of the graphic you wish to blur or just simply grab a tiny bit of the adjoining graphic and blur it as well.

The second picture shows the navigation to the Gaussian Blur Tool.

The third picture in the next post displays the Gaussian Blur Tool itself. Notice the slider bar used to adjust the percentage of blur.

Hint: If you are using layers and the lasso selection tool, make sure you type Control D (hold the control and D keys down) to de-select the lasso tool. or you can go to the Selection menu on top and select none.

Name:	lassoblur.jpg 
Views:	2044 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	26304   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blur.jpg 
Views:	2013 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	26305  

Last edited by jamesmc; 03 June 2006 at 04:37 AM.
    IP

This picture shows the Gaussian Blur Tool.

In the preceding post you may have wondered why there is a blue circle behind Big Ben. I put it there to demonstrate the effect Gaussian Blur has. The more the Blur, the more transparent the selection becomes.

Name:	Gaussian.jpg 
Views:	2110 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	26306  
    Last edited by jamesmc; 03 June 2006 at 04:38 AM.
    IP