Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Selectting Text via Name Gallery BUG ?!?

The attachment was created by typing some text. Then copying and moving it. The red rectangles were made in a similar manner.

Test 1:
    Open the Name Gallery. Click on the dot next to the name, "Arial". Note that all occurences in the drawing are selected. Now go to Arrange menu. THE OPTION FOR "GROUP" in NOT AVAILABLE.

Test 2:
    Make sure nothing is selected. In the Name Gallery, click on the dot for the color, "RED". Now go to the Arrange menu. The option for "Group" IS AVAILABLE.

Test 3:
    Manually select the text. Arrange > Group is available.

+++++++++++++

Issue:
    Shouldn't grouping objects which have been selected using the Name Gallery, work for "Used Fonts" the same way it does for other object categories in the Name Gallery???

+++++++++++++

This may seem to be a trivial matter in most cases; however, if I have a large selection in a Microsoft application (for instance a graph or several cells in a Excel spreadsheet) then copy and paste it into Xara as a Windows metafile, then being able to quickly select only the text is important if other non-text elements happen to be pasted as well. Pasting as a Windows metafile is necessary because the text is brought in as "Simple" text rather than "Column" text.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jclements; 30 May 2006 at 05:23 PM.

Default Re: Selectting Text via Name Gallery BUG ?!?

Er John.......

There's no attachment.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

The reason this happens is because the name gallery is selecting all the characters in Arial font and not selecting the actual text objects. I can see why you want what you do, but that's just not quite the way it works right now.

Not sure how to solve this, but I'll log it for future attention.

Thank you, Charles.

Little improvements (tweeks) like this can really increase productivity. I can see now, with your explanation, why it works the way it does.

Perhaps, an option to select all "simple" or "column" text that include the selected font in the Name Gallery would do the trick.
    Last edited by jclements; 30 May 2006 at 05:29 PM.