Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Difficulty exporting to eps

I designed my company logo with xara old version.
    I would like to make it vector to make stickers and so.
    The problem is when i load it in illustrator it doesn't recognize the fonts
    and it has prob lems with shadows and other filters.
    What can I do?

Default Re: Difficulty exporting to eps

Welcome to the extreme conference.

Why do you want (or need) to open the file in Illustrator?

Illustrator does not support many of Xara's features including shadows, bevels, and many types of gradient fills and gradient transparencies.

Also, Illustrator uses a different font naming convention than most programs. This is why it is not recognizing your fonts.

Illustrator CS2 I believe is better at recognizing Windows naming conventions.

Gary

Hi
    As Gargy states AI has problems with some of Xara's special effects but there are ways around this. If you have shadows click on the object, Hold down both "Shift + Ctrl and hit S (convert to editable shapes) still with "Shift & Ctrl" held down hit U (ungroup). Now the shadow is separated from the object but it is a bitmap not a vector so when you take it into AI you can delete it after using AI horrible shadow tool or Copy the object, put it to the back and reduce the opacity and give it a blur.
    With fonts you use the same ctrl + shift + S but don't ungroup them. When exporting to take something in to AI always export it as an "ai"eps and then import it as a legacy ver.8 when you are in AI.
    Design is thinking made visual.

The best way to export files for use in Illustrator verison 10 upwards is to export as PDF. I believe that does a better job of recognising fonts.

You could always convert the text to shapes to avoid any font problems (but then the text would not be editable in AI)

Charles (if you are still here)

In ealier versions of the Xtreme PDF export filter, fonts were embedded. Now most of the Adobe fonts I try to embed cannot because the error says there is no permission to embed these fonts.

But if you export to PDF and still check embed fonts, if the font is on your computer, when you open the PDF file in Illustrator, the fonts are identified correctly.

On the other hand, if you try to convert the Xtreme PDF file to PDF/X in Acrobat 7, the conversion will fail because the fonts are not embedded.

But, if you save as PDF from Illustrator, then the issue goes away.

I'm not sure if this is a question or observation

Gary (aka Gargy)

Does the font recognition problem resolve using PDFedit995? (That print to file utility.)

I do not believe that PDF995 can embed a font. It has been a while since I used it.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester
    Welcome to the extreme conference.
    Also, Illustrator uses a different font naming convention than most programs. This is why it is not recognizing your fonts.

Gary
    I always wondered, and never dared ask! The problems seem to occur in both directions...

Tony

Yeah. Windows pretty much has the basic font and then you can click B for bold face and I for italic. Even if the typeface does not have a bold or italic font Windows makes the font heavier or slants it.

In Illustrator you have the typeface (typeface being a collections of fonts) and then the individual font/styles are listed separately. So for example, you select Myriad Pro and then from another list you select Light Condensed, or Medium Italic, etc.

And beyond that there is something about the way Adobe names fonts that is different and causes many of these problems.

Gary

I too am having problems exporting a readable .eps file.

I opened an .eps file created in AI. removed all elements bar a logo I wanted to keep, added a strapline as text, changed the page size to 800px x 210px and tried to export as a XaraX eps and as an AI eps. The resulting file is not readable by anything. I can't import it into Xara even - I get a "cannot be loaded as it is a renderable eps." message. Opening it in photoshop creates a new document dialogue window offering 577cm x 577cm sized document (changing the dimensions doesn't allow it to load).

I'm missing something here I'm sure as surely Xara Xtreme will allow me to export drawings as eps that can be used by other programmes.

Any suggestions as to what might be wrong?