Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

View Poll Results: Is the film camera dead?

Voters
721. This poll is closed
  • Yes

309 42.86%
  • No

412 57.14%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    bill h Guest

Cool Re: Is the film camera dead? Discussion and poll.

There r millions of old & new 35mm cameras around the world. Do U rally think with film cameras still being sold It is possable to stop making film?
    IP

Talking Re: Is the film camera dead? Discussion and poll.

I have SLR 35mm, digital still, 35mm standard camera and a new digital video camera. I find they all have their uses, but I would never give up my SLR, even if you have to get a whole film developed at once. I haven't found too many dud photos on films. I think when you can erase and take more photos one after the other with instant editing you lose sponaneity. You only learn by making mistakes, and you might well mess up a whole film.
    I always had prints of all photos I took with my SLR or 35mm camera, but only print out photos I want to enlarge or frame or give away with my digital camera. That could cause me problems if my CD or DVD backups become unreadable.
    It is easier to show friends or relatives hard copy photos when they visit than sit them down in front of a computer or television screen. Printed photos don't crash! If you take a CD to a gathering they all can't fit in front of a TV and the host may not have a DVD player anyway. I know people who don't.
    IP

TomW Guest

Default Re: Is the film camera dead? Discussion and poll.

The question is too broad. I think it is better asked in two parts: 1) Is film dead for amateurs? and 2) Is film dead for pros?

I disagree with the earlier response that film is rapidly becoming a hobbiest niche. Just the opposite - I believe that amateurs still using film are hopelessly retro and are not long of this world, and, pros still need the resolution, color, contrast, and artifact control, not to mention medium and large format flexibility, that only film provides.

As technology improves, and some of the inherent limitations of current digital imaging techniques are overcome with breakthroughs, I believe that film will truly die. However, that date with the reaper is a long way off.
    IP

Unregistered Guest

not at all camera's are all stuff which cannot be subtituted
    IP

Digital cameras are the way of the future, and for my generation, they are definately the ones.

But...

There will always be film veterans and their heir, so I think film will live on, but when it comes to the future and technology, there is nothing better than binary.
    IP

An update.

Unregistered User posted on May 25th:

"Evidentiary documentation must be taken on film cameras due to the ease of manipulation of digital images so I think that film is here to stay."

Nikon just announced:

==============================

Nikon overcomes the issue of digital image authenitication

Also available in July for UKP400 / EU589, the new Image Authentication Software application, which is designed exclusively for use with the Nikon D2Xs digital SLR, enables users to determine whether an image has been altered since capture. Image data can be used for verifying image authenticity by law enforcement and other government agencies, the media, insurance companies and has a variety of other business applications.

The software has a product key and a USB key to ensure security whereby the USB key must be plugged into the USB port of the Pentium computer running it to commence application.

The software enables verification of JPEG, TIFF and NEF (RAW) data to be taken using a Nikon digital SLR compatible with the authentication function.

===============================

The above is a snip from the article, but there was also speculation that the other manufacturers would have to jump on this bandwagon ASAP, or watch Nikon grab all of the business for verifiable images.

Never say never...
    IP

I like both. They each seem to have a purpose although I think the film camera will end up more on the pro side eventually. I do have an issue with the digitals though. They're terrible indoors. The frequency of some lights and the digital cameras make for horrible photos. Outdoors, they're great, just not indoors in large rooms.

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?
    IP

I voted Yes as well, its not just because of the digital camera and the computer but in a short time we will see the mobile phones getting better upgrades and already there are 3mp models out there albeit they are some price!!

The youngsters will go for them, whereas at 40 I tend to shop around and bide my time. As technology increases so will the standards of digital photography, the fact its instant as opposed to the waiting and paying for development and if you've taken a dud then you have the chance with some models to go and do it again if possible with no charge...

As long as your photo printer is doing a good enough job I don't see why we have to worry about film any more unless of course we lose the technology!
    IP

I voted yes, its dead for several reasons.

1. Capacity. When you spend a day taking pictures, you can easily have thousands of images, that on film would take a lot of space and would have to be handled with care. On electronic storage, you put them all in a single pocket.

2. Ease of use. With the ability to take thousands of images quickly, you dont need be a good photograph to get that special moment. If just 1 out of 1000 images is THE one, things are fine. That doesnt make you a good photographer but gives you the chance to make at least some good images now and then )

3. Price. Just calculate films for 1k images vs. storage you can use over and over.

4. Save the world .) I dont want to know what I did to the environment creating images in the dark room in my bathtub.

Juergen
    IP

I thought I'd submit a link for the discussion... for those who haven't seen it, it's well worth checking out. http://www.gigapxl.org/ I won't say much other than this definitely demonstrates the potential of technology relating to photography...
    IP