Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Linux milestone reached

Although you are mostly Windows users, you should be interested to know that Xara Xtreme LX - the open source Linux version of your fave graphics application - has just achieved the 0.5 target milestone.

This is the point where the program is now useful - it can load and save files and export bitmaps. All tools are mostly operational. There a screenshot in the LX forum here
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=21374

You might begin to find a few Linux users coming to this forum asking question about how to do this or that. The LX version is close enough to the Windows version (we're deliberately making it operate as closely as we can) that an answer for the Windows version will almost certainly apply to the LX version as well.

Why should you be interested, as Windows users? Simply because this version will be the foundation of future Windows (and Mac) versions.

I would encourage you to help and encourage all Linux users, especially those contributing their time and efforts helping us create and test Xara LX. The more users we get and the more help we get, the sooner the job will be complete and the sooner we start to improve and add new features to Xara Xtreme - all versions.

We've got some great new features we want to add - many of the ideas contributed in this forum, and we hope that before long this move to open source will begin to give returns for all Xara users.

Default Re: Linux milestone reached

Yes, but the tarBZ-file is :

- corrupted (my ARK says)
    or
    - the bin- dir is missing (what I found out for myself)

so the program won't start.

Please answer!!

Jos.

Looking good Charles! I downloaded and installed yesterday.

I note that you list SVG import / export as an item to be completed for version 1.0 of LX. Will that be added to the Windows version at the same time?

Hmmm, I used to use Linux when I had a consulting firm. Strictly because one of our biggest clients was strong in Linux and developed hardware for business applications.

May have to whip out the spare hard drive and dual boot that baby with Linux.

What flavor is this Linux Xara X using? Debian or ? I think I have Redhat laying around somewhere, if not I can get what's needed from the Web.

To answer the points:
    Jos: Try the daily updated non-stable version from the download page to see if that's any better. Or the Autopackage. If that doesn't work please report a bug to bugzilla
    Steven: Yes we expect SVG will be added to the Windows version. It will be a while before this is a very complete SVG implementation though.
    James: Xara should run on all flavors of Linux. It even runs on FreeBSD

Thank you Charles for the information!

I played around with SVG in Inkscape a bit. I can't say I like the way it was implemented with keyboard commands though. Become spoiled with graphical interfaces. SVG appears to be up and coming with the XML lot. Would be a good way to attract developers, software designers and the new motion vector crowd by implementing the newer Xara versions with SVG.

Was wondering also if anyone has tried to run Xara LX in a Microsoft Virtual Server environment using Linux as the operating system on that Virtual PC.