Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default small feature request- dbl clicking layers

Hey

just wondering if we could have the layers gallery when we double click on them to open properties?

RonC

Default Re: small feature request- dbl clicking layers

YES!!!
    I think I requested this years ago but Ill vote for it again.
    I've been using Xara for donkeys years and STILL double click on the layers to change their names......

Maybe I need an upgrade.

Well we could make double-click of a layer in the layer gallery one of a number of possible things:
    • Open properties to allow a rename.
    • Or we just make do a rename directly
    • Or we make it select and enable the layer and hide all others (I've often wanted a way of quickly showing only this layer, hiding all others). Double click again would revert back to previous settings
    • Or select all objects on that layer

Does anyone know what it does in Photoshop or Illustrator?

I don't really know about Photoshop and Illustrator. (Despite popular opinion I'm not sure that they the best examples of workflow.)

Flash has a pretty neat way of dealing with layer locking and visibility. Right click on the layer and it gives you the options to hide/lock the other layers and to show all. On the layer pallet clicking on the lock or eye locks/unlocks and hides/unhides all.
    All very handy work enhancing stuff. Extreme should do something similar.

You could even have a double click bringing up a new layer properties box which has switches for all the above.

While I'm hear my other pet niggle is that the colour mixer either shows the line or the fill colour. Could you make the box a tad bigger so we can see the line AND the fill colour so we don't have to scroll to select the one that isn't in the window.

To edit (rename) in CorelDRAW - two single clicks on the layer name (although it is sometimes sluggish to respond).

To edit (rename) in SketchUp - double-click the layer name. Note, when creating a new layer, the layer name itself is automatically hilighted with the cursor in the layer name so it can be modified. See attached.

Another solution would be to have a "rename" choice available at the top of the context menu (right-mouse-click menu) which would allow you edit the name directly without having to use the Layers Property dialog.

Charles, I like some of your other suggestions for layers too.

ANOTHER LAYER (OR ANY OTHER PRESISTENT DIALOG) suggestion: SketchUp allows you rollup/rolldown its persistent dialogs by SINGLE-clicking the titlebar of the dialog. This is very convenient (and much faster than having to click on a tiny "rollup" icon in the dialog's titlebar).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SU Layer.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	26003  
    Last edited by jclements; 26 May 2006 at 05:22 PM.

Humble suggestions:

1. Without double-clicking, the first single-click on any layer name selects that layer, the second single-click allows renaming (as with files in Windows Explorer);
    2. Double-click any layer name (whether or not it is already selected) to select all objects on that layer;
    3. Double-click any eye icon to hide all but that layer;
    4. Double-click any arrow icon to disable all but that layer.

Glen
    Last edited by GroWeb; 26 May 2006 at 02:09 AM.
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who think there are two kinds of people in the world, and those who don’t.

CorelDRAW is a double-click (although it sometimes is sluggish to respond).
    SketchUp it is a double-click.
    The double click does what?

Charles, see my edited post above for clarification.

Hi everyone.

Many of the apps listed have a similar approach to to layers. I would like to see an improvement in the way Xtreme uses them.

Glad you jumped in on this one Charles.

I agree with Squeaky on the way Flash uses Layers with one addition - Flash also allows the user to create Folders which lets the user Group layers. This could be extremely handy when exporting out of Xtreme. You could add an export option that allows us to export by folder!

Think of mimicing Multiple Pages!

This would be extremely valuable to me and my work!

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?

Layer groups are certainly the way ahead in the 21st century!
    Gets my vote!