Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Xara X1 ... how to make multi-page pdf?

Hi everyone.

I need help please re:family newsletter. I'd like to start doing it in Xara now, and assume I will use different layers for the different pages (1-4). Can I create all four layers/pages into ONE pdf file?

Suggestions, how-to, welcome! Thanks!

Helen

I have Xara X1 (no Xtreme)

Default Re: Xara X1 ... how to make multi-page pdf?

Hi Helen,
    Sounds like a fun project, however I don't think Xara x1 is the ideal program for the job. Great for vector graphic creation, not so great for page layout.
    Also, Adobe pdf files tend to be MUCH bigger than word processor files saved in their own native format.
    For example : I just created a document with one line of text , and one 11k jpeg image file, and the converted pdf file was 314k in size!
    If everyone in your family has a healthy broadband connection then document size doesn't matter that much, but if someone still has a dialup connection, then their download speed is going to be about 3k. They will likely "turn to stone" long before your document is downloaded!
    My suggestion for an alternative application, if you want to go ahead with the family news letter in the PDF format, is gobeProductive.
    GobeProductive is a small office type suite that will easily handle your layout needs, manipulation of graphics, and save into PDF.
    You can save multipage documents in the pdf format by simply selecting the PDF format in the "Save As" dialogue. It also has a number of useful graphic effects ( although not compatible with Xara as plugins. Drat!)

You can download a full 30 day trial at : www.gobe.com

Hope this helps! - Andrew
    Last edited by AndFarr; 20 May 2006 at 02:43 AM.

If your not uncomfortable with using Flash files, Xara Xtreme exports SWF (shockwave Flash.) These files are typically small in size and usually maintain all vector art.

Attached is a single page image from a manual I'm working on. It is 16KB in size in the flash format and can be expanded to full screen without any loss of quality.

The forum doesn't allow SWF files for some reason, so I uploaded the jpg. The Flash Format is actually smaller than the original jpg by about half.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	page1.jpg 
Views:	1333 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	25804  

Thanks.... I suspected this might be the case!

Guess I'll stick with good old M$Publisher (makes reasonable pdf at 72dpi). Me, I'M the family member with slow dialup! (old town, old lines).

Appreciate your comments.

Helen

Helen

Personally I have mixed feelings about these newsletters! And if you are on dialup they can be annoying...

Why not instead create a periodic blog (or simply a website with the latest newsletter); then you just email a link to friends and family. Then they can choose when to get it - and you can have a pdf copy there too.
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Hi Helen,
    You can use Xara to manage your pictures and get them ready to be exported into some form of DTP package but to use it as the main way of making a multi page PDF file has a few difficulties. Firstly as you suggest you can make at multipage doc. by assigninh a layer to a page then by switching off and on you can print that page. When using Extreme to generate your PDF the export routine flattens your layers bringing everything one to one. You woulld need to use a PDF file maker and "Print to that Driver" something like Adobe Acro and they are other ones that are avaiable to download but that is all hassel.

My recommendations would be to get a hold of Serif's Page Plus and I believe that version 7 is now free both to download or get from one of the mags. This programme is much better, faster and has the ability to produce a high quality output much higher than any MS software. If you want the ability to produce PDF's from this programme you would need to spend £28 for discs and postage from Serif for version 10. Give it a try, it is very good value, and it comes with a huge amount of resourses and templates to give your newsletter a more professional look and whats more it is very easy to use.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmc
    If your not uncomfortable with using Flash files, Xara Xtreme exports SWF (shockwave Flash.) These files are typically small in size and usually maintain all vector art.

Attached is a single page image from a manual I'm working on. It is 16KB in size in the flash format and can be expanded to full screen without any loss of quality.
    Presumably you create a multi-page flash file by reloading the individual pages into flash and adding page navigation?

Paul
    Last edited by pauland; 20 May 2006 at 01:52 PM.

The free version of Serif PagePlus is called PagePlus SE. It has many of the features of the main programme (now at version 11). Whilst it doesn't allow the creation of a PDF file, there are numerous applications that you can use to do that.

The first version of PagePlus to allow PDF output was version 8PDF. You can usually obtain earlier versions than the current one from eBay for less than 10 UK pounds.

Dave

Agreed. I do post the c 800K on my personal web space, where 75% of family is happy to download & print their own copy -- the rest I print and snail mail. Yep... I use Xara X1 to prep images for the NL. Been using CutePDF. Works fine for that.

thanks again!
    Helen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >>>
    Personally I have mixed feelings about these newsletters! And if you are on dialup they can be annoying...

Why not instead create a periodic blog (or simply a website with the latest newsletter); then you just email a link to friends and family. Then they can choose when to get it - and you can have a pdf copy there too.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by pauland
    Presumably you create a multi-page flash file by reloading the individual pages into flash and adding page navigation?

Paul
    There are several ways to do it. One can make an entire website from flash, including the index/entry page

You can use a menu as a means for navigation. You can make a flash slide show with a user interface device such as a player. I don't think the container matters as much as long as it is user friendly and achieves one's end goal.

If one is clever at action script, I suppose no one would be the wiser the Website is using flash. Unless they are accessing the web through Internet explorer and get that annoying message about 'activeX'.