Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: MacOS X building instructions

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Young
    Ben, I'm not sure if you mean gettext or gettest.
    It is gettext.

I was under the impression that autopoint was part of recent version of gettext, but it seems that that the fink version of gettext is recent enough for us, but does not have autopoint which we need.

If practical, you may want to remove the fink gettext and install the latest GNU gettext
    from source.

Ben.

(P.S. the forum software ate the first edition of this post and I have re-typed it from memory, so I am sorry if it does not reach my usual standards, which are not that high anyway)!
    IP

I being a little speculative here, but I am leaning towards the idea I expressed above: The fink gettext package's not providing autopoint. Whilst this is arguably fink's bug, I do suggest removing the fink gettext and installing the latest GNU gettext.

If this is too fiddly, please post again and I will think about it. Ideally, we need to recruit a fink dev to this team or find some way of doing without autopoint.

Ben
    IP

Exclamation Re: MacOS X building instructions

The gettext step is where i'm getting stuck. I have Mac OS 10.4.6 (PowerPC), using XCode 2.2.1. Here is what I'm seeing:

1. autoreconf fails with this:

Putting files in AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR, `../build-aux'.
    Putting files in AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR, `../../build-aux'.
    autoreconf: configure.ac: AM_GNU_GETTEXT is used, but not AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION
    lib/Makefile.am:57: required file `lib/strtol.c' not found
    lib/Makefile.am:118: required file `lib/strdup.c' not found
    lib/Makefile.am:118: required file `lib/regex.c' not found
    lib/Makefile.am:118: required file `lib/memchr.c' not found
    /usr/share/automake-1.6/am/compile.am: DEFS was set with `+=' and is now set with `='

2. so i try ./configure and make (as in the gettext INSTALL)
    3. configure works, but make fails with this:

gcc -dynamiclib -o .libs/libintl.3.4.3 .libs/bindtextdom.o .libs/dcgettext.o .libs/dgettext.o .libs/gettext.o .libs/finddomain.o .libs/loadmsgcat.o .libs/localealias.o .libs/textdomain.o .libs/l10nflist.o .libs/explodename.o .libs/dcigettext.o .libs/dcngettext.o .libs/dngettext.o .libs/ngettext.o .libs/plural.o .libs/plural-exp.o .libs/localcharset.o .libs/relocatable.o .libs/langprefs.o .libs/localename.o .libs/log.o .libs/printf.o .libs/osdep.o .libs/intl-compat.o /usr/lib/libiconv.dylib -lc -Wl,-framework -Wl,CoreFoundation -install_name /usr/local/lib/libintl.3 -compatibility_version 8 -current_version 8.3
    ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _locale_charset
    .libs/localcharset.o definition of _locale_charset in section (__TEXT,__text)
    /usr/lib/libiconv.dylib(localcharset.o) definition of _locale_charset
    (cd .libs && rm -f libintl.3 && ln -s libintl.3.4.3 libintl.3)
    (cd .libs && rm -f libintl && ln -s libintl.3.4.3 libintl)
    ar cru .libs/libintl.a bindtextdom.o dcgettext.o dgettext.o gettext.o finddomain.o loadmsgcat.o localealias.o textdomain.o l10nflist.o explodename.o dcigettext.o dcngettext.o dngettext.o ngettext.o plural.o plural-exp.o localcharset.o relocatable.o langprefs.o localename.o log.o printf.o osdep.o intl-compat.o~ranlib .libs/libintl.a
    ar: intl-compat.o~ranlib: No such file or directory
    make[3]: *** [libintl.la] Error 1
    make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
    make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

I'm what you'd call "lost" at this point, any help would be appreciated.
    IP

Is there some sort of typo or glitch in your Makefile?

The odds are that you need automake 1.9 not 1.6, but I can't be sure at this distance.

Your probably need to clean you build directory and start from untar'ing the gettext source tarball.

Post again if you think that I am on the wrong lines.

Ben
    IP

Ok, I switched to automake 1.9 -- and I get messages saying that the automake config was made with 1.6 and run aclocal to fix. Which does nothing.

This gettext piece is by far the most frustrating build I've encountered, this automake and autoreconf crapola is infuriatingly "too smart for its own good" (or mine, it would seem).

I'll wait for an OSX binary disto to start testing XaraLX, sorry folks.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by dbalmer
    Ok, I switched to automake 1.9 -- and I get messages saying that the automake config was made with 1.6 and run aclocal to fix. Which does nothing.
    That sounds like a new problem, and we would certainly be interested in seeing the error messages.

If you have the fink gettext installed, you could remove all verions of it - I am working on the basis that Xara LX needs gettext installed independently.

The fink automake 1.9 should be O.K. for Xara LX (but not for some other packages).

Ben.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by BPFowler View Post
    That sounds like a new problem, and we would certainly be interested in seeing the error messages.

If you have the fink gettext installed, you could remove all verions of it - I am working on the basis that Xara LX needs gettext installed independently.

The fink automake 1.9 should be O.K. for Xara LX (but not for some other packages).

Ben.
    I found this thread via Google and wanted to mention that I'm having the exact same problem making gettext from the Gnu package... autoreconf reports the following:

Putting files in AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR, `../../build-aux'.
    autoreconf: configure.ac: AM_GNU_GETTEXT is used, but not AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION
    lib/Makefile.am:57: required file `lib/strtol.c' not found
    lib/Makefile.am:118: required file `lib/strdup.c' not found
    lib/Makefile.am:118: required file `lib/regex.c' not found
    lib/Makefile.am:118: required file `lib/memchr.c' not found
    /usr/share/automake-1.6/am/compile.am: DEFS was set with `+=' and is now set with `='
    autoreconf: automake failed with exit status: 1

Note that I am using Mac OS X 10.4.7 (Intel) with Xcode 2.4 (partial install from the distribution DVD, omitting Java- and Web-related tools).

The gettext tarball is 0.14.6.

The functions strtol and strdup are supposedly part of the GNU libiberty library, which are in turn supposedly distributed with gcc, gdb, and binutils. Althought I have gcc 4.0 installed, I can find no trace of libiberty on my machine, though man pages are present for the above functions.

HUH! I just looked up at the error messages again and noticed that the error message is from automake-1.6, even though I just downloaded and installed automake 1.9 via fink. Turns out 1.9 is installed in /sw/bin, while 1.6 remains in /usr/bin, which is earlier in my path. Reversing the path order got automake 1.9 to run when I called autoreconf, but now it generates a LOT of warnings similar to

/sw/share/aclocal/gtk.m4:7: warning: underquoted definition of AM_PATH_GTK
    /sw/share/aclocal/glib.m4:8: warning: underquoted definition of AM_PATH_GLIB

Otherwise, autoreconf now completes without an actual error.

./configure also completes without error, but make ends with

ar cru .libs/libintl.a bindtextdom.o dcgettext.o dgettext.o gettext.o finddomain.o loadmsgcat.o localealias.o textdomain.o l10nflist.o explodename.o dcigettext.o dcngettext.o dngettext.o ngettext.o plural.o plural-exp.o localcharset.o relocatable.o langprefs.o localename.o log.o printf.o osdep.o intl-compat.o~ranlib .libs/libintl.a
    ar: intl-compat.o~ranlib: No such file or directory
    make[3]: *** [libintl.la] Error 1

It appears to me (a non-guru) that for some reason 'make' is concatenating the 'ar' command with the 'ran' command, separated by a '~', so that 'ar' sees a spurious filename 'intl-compat.o~ranlib'

But for the life of me, I can't figure out why this is happening or how to make it stop, despite manually editing intl/Makefile.

Anyway, for now I'm stuck, unless there's another way to get the required version of 'gettext' installed.
    IP

Found a binary for gettext that seems to work (so far) via i-Installer v2 from http://tug.org/i-packages/ii2.ii2

Now I'm running into problems using

autoreconf -f -i -s

in the XaraLX directory ... I get

Copying file mkinstalldirs
    Makefile.am:29: directory should not contain `/'
    Makefile.am:29: directory should not contain `/'
    autoreconf: automake failed with exit status: 1

In short, I'm further along than I was, but stuck again.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by gpetty View Post
    Found a binary for gettext that seems to work (so Makefile.am:29: directory should not contain `/'
    In short, I'm further along than I was, but stuck again.
    You need to upgrade your autoconf and/or automake. I think that's an autoconf problem.

Alex
    IP

Once again I was an unwitting victim of the path order ... I had automake 1.9 installed in /sw/bin, but it was hitting version 1.6 in /usr/bin first.

I've switched the path order in my .cshrc file, and that seems to have gotten me past the previous glitch. Now I'm on what I hope is my final glitch:

When I 'make' in ~/XaraLx, I get a bunch of warnings (see below) and then the following error:

dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libwx_macud-2.6.0.dylib
    Referenced from: /Users/gpetty/wx/v263/build-unicode-debug/utils/wxrc/wxrc
    Reason: image not found
    Could not read dialogs for translation (empty or bad wxrc) [/bin/sh -c 'eval LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/Users/gpetty/wx/v263/build-unicode-debug/lib /Users/gpetty/wx/v263/build-unicode-debug/utils/wxrc/wxrc -g ./xrc/dialogs.xrc'] at .././Scripts/build-resources.pl line 423.
    Makefile:335: *** "Resource build failed". Stop.

Note that I am also getting (earlier in the make):

Making all in wxOil
    Testing for new resources and svn version
    Rebuilding svn version
    subversion/libsvn_wc/lock.c:377: (apr_err=155007)
    svn: '..' is not a working copy
    svnversion gives exported

It looks ominous to me, but maybe it means nothing.

Also, I get a lot of warnings about certain png files not being found ; e.g,

.././wxOil/xrc/EN/aboutres.xrc:23 Warning: Bitmap ./xrc/2.png not found
    .././wxOil/xrc/EN/aboutres.xrc:82 Warning: Bitmap ./xrc/2.png not found
    .././wxOil/xrc/EN/aboutres.xrc:149 Warning: Bitmap ./xrc/2.png not found
    .././wxOil/xrc/EN/aboutrsw.xrc:23 Warning: Bitmap ./xrc/2.png not found
    .././wxOil/xrc/EN/barsdlgs.xrc:762 Warning: Bitmap ./xrc/leftbrace.png not found
    .././wxOil/xrc/EN/barsdlgs.xrc:766 Warning: Bitmap ./xrc/rightbrace.png not found
    .././wxOil/xrc/EN/barsdlgs.xrc:770 Warning: Bitmap ./xrc/label.png not found
    .././wxOil/xrc/EN/errordlg.xrc:31 Warning: Bitmap ./xrc/.png not found
    .././wxOil/xrc/EN/register.xrc:19 Warning: Bitmap ./xrc/2.png not found
    .././wxOil/xrc/EN/textres.xrc:26 Warning: Bitmap ./xrc/aspect.png not found
    .././wxOil/xrc/EN/textres.xrc:74 Warning: Bitmap ./xrc/tracking.png not found
    .././wxOil/xrc/EN/textres.xrc:78 Warning: Bitmap ./xrc/kerning.png not found
    IP