Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Threaded View

Default Re: MacOS X building instructions

Quote Originally Posted by abligh View Post
    Run configure with the following additional commands:
    --disable-international --disable-svnversion

The former will disable building of the internationalization resources (your resultant file will still be internationalizable). --disable-svnversion will disable building a header with the svn version number in (sometimes causes problems).

The next challenge will be at link stage.
    The above options seem to have done the trick. The make completed without additional errors.

The resulting executable is huge: 784 MB. I've tried executing it, but so far all it's done is generate a couple dozen lines of debugging info. Although it hasn't terminated (it stills shows up in ps), there's no sign of life; even the debug comments have stopped. I'm uploading a file with the captured debug output, in case anyone can make sense of it.

I hope after all this you aren't going to be too disappointed when it doesn't work as well as on Linux. We have some endian problems we know we need to sort out on ppc MacOS, plus (no doubt) some other issues.
    I have no experience with the Linux version .. I only learned of Xara two days ago, but it sounded like a potential alternative to commercial programs like Adobe Illustrator. I had already shelled out for the Windows version of AI and was reluctant to do it again now that I've switched to the Mac world.

Re endian: I'm attempting to build Xara LX on an Intel-based Macbook. I assume the endianness is the same as for Linux on Intel machines.

I don't quite understand why you need the symbolic link: if it's finding the correct wx-config, then
    wx-config --libs
    (running it with the right wx-config) should return a fully specified path to the correct library.

Alex
    I don't understand it either. It seems to be finding everything else wx-related. But it definitely halts when it can't find the one library in /usr/lib, and creating the one symbolic link as described ended the impasse.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    IP