Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: MacOS X building instructions

Quote Originally Posted by abligh View Post
    Run configure with the following additional commands:
    --disable-international --disable-svnversion

The former will disable building of the internationalization resources (your resultant file will still be internationalizable). --disable-svnversion will disable building a header with the svn version number in (sometimes causes problems).

The next challenge will be at link stage.
    The above options seem to have done the trick. The make completed without additional errors.

The resulting executable is huge: 784 MB. I've tried executing it, but so far all it's done is generate a couple dozen lines of debugging info. Although it hasn't terminated (it stills shows up in ps), there's no sign of life; even the debug comments have stopped. I'm uploading a file with the captured debug output, in case anyone can make sense of it.

I hope after all this you aren't going to be too disappointed when it doesn't work as well as on Linux. We have some endian problems we know we need to sort out on ppc MacOS, plus (no doubt) some other issues.
    I have no experience with the Linux version .. I only learned of Xara two days ago, but it sounded like a potential alternative to commercial programs like Adobe Illustrator. I had already shelled out for the Windows version of AI and was reluctant to do it again now that I've switched to the Mac world.

Re endian: I'm attempting to build Xara LX on an Intel-based Macbook. I assume the endianness is the same as for Linux on Intel machines.

I don't quite understand why you need the symbolic link: if it's finding the correct wx-config, then
    wx-config --libs
    (running it with the right wx-config) should return a fully specified path to the correct library.

Alex
    I don't understand it either. It seems to be finding everything else wx-related. But it definitely halts when it can't find the one library in /usr/lib, and creating the one symbolic link as described ended the impasse.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by gpetty View Post
    The above options seem to have done the trick. The make completed without additional errors.

The resulting executable is huge: 784 MB. I've tried executing it, but so far all it's done is generate a couple dozen lines of debugging info. Although it hasn't terminated (it stills shows up in ps), there's no sign of life; even the debug comments have stopped. I'm uploading a file with the captured debug output, in case anyone can make sense of it.
    The size is probably debugging symbols. Mine is "only" 147Mb.

In order to execute it successfully, you need to put it into a MacOS "bundle". I think this is pretty easy (some sort of mkdir with permissions and a copy). I'm not sure of the details, but I think it's something like this:
    mkdir -p XaraLX.app/Contents/MacOS
    cp xaralx XaraLX.app/Contents/MacOS

then
    open XaraLX.app

I have no experience with the Linux version .. I only learned of Xara two days ago, but it sounded like a potential alternative to commercial programs like Adobe Illustrator. I had already shelled out for the Windows version of AI and was reluctant to do it again now that I've switched to the Mac world.

Re endian: I'm attempting to build Xara LX on an Intel-based Macbook. I assume the endianness is the same as for Linux on Intel machines.
    Yes it is. You should have less difficulty here. I'm just saying it's early stages building for the Mac. But don't get me wrong, we appreciate people building it and testing it!

(you can, BTW, build wx for gtk if you install gtk on the Mac. Xtreme should then build fine but you will have a gtk interface not a Mac interface which is not what you want I presume...).

Alex
    IP

The size is probably debugging symbols. Mine is "only" 147Mb.

In order to execute it successfully, you need to put it into a MacOS "bundle". I think this is pretty easy (some sort of mkdir with permissions and a copy). I'm not sure of the details, but I think it's something like this:
    mkdir -p XaraLX.app/Contents/MacOS
    cp xaralx XaraLX.app/Contents/MacOS

then
    open XaraLX.app
    Three steps forward, one(?) step back.

Now that I understand what a bundle is ... it turns out the build automatically creates a folder XaraLX.app and associated subdirectories in the build directory. So all I had to do is mv the executable to ~/XaraLX/XaraLX.app/Contents/MacOS. I then used finder to open it, and voila ... it started up with a normal GUI. Initially it complained about something with fonts and then about not having ImageMagick 6.0, but these seemed not to be fatal errors.

But then disaster .. I simply clicked on the drawing window, and the program complained about a "very serious error" and said that it would have to close. Fortunately, it gave me the opportunity to generate an error report, which I have attached here.

(you can, BTW, build wx for gtk if you install gtk on the Mac. Xtreme should then build fine but you will have a gtk interface not a Mac interface which is not what you want I presume...).

Alex
    I'm too new to Macs to have any interface loyalty .. and i have no idea what the gtk interface is like. My prior experience is primarily with the Windows GUI and the Unix command line. If I continue to have problems getting a working Mac interface, I might like to take a look at the gtk version.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    IP

Incidentally, the complaint about missing ImageMagick 6.0 seems spurious. I've investigated and found that I have exactly one version of ImageMagick installed --- version 6.1.8 -- and the executables are present in /sw/bin.

I'm not sure how to tell Xtreme to look for it there.
    IP

Incidentally, the complaint about missing ImageMagick 6.0 seems spurious. I've investigated and found that I have exactly one version of ImageMagick installed --- version 6.1.8 -- and the executables are present in /sw/bin.

I'm not sure how to tell Xtreme to look for it there.
    Ensure it is on your path, or in your preferences (when you've got it to run once, and then quit, you will have a .xaralx/preferences in your home directory), put this:
    ImageMagickPath=/sw/bin/convert
    replacing the existing line

Alex
    Last edited by abligh; 14 August 2006 at 10:01 PM.
    IP

Initially it complained about something with fonts
    That would be the "we haven't written the font manager interface for the Mac yet" bug :-) (actually I'm not sure why it shouldn't work if you have pango installed, as that's all we use...)
    and then about not having ImageMagick 6.0, but these seemed not to be fatal errors.
    Harmless
    But then disaster .. I simply clicked on the drawing window, and the program complained about a "very serious error" and said that it would have to close. Fortunately, it gave me the opportunity to generate an error report, which I have attached here.
    OK, interesting. I would guess that this is CCamView::GetFrame() (in HandleDragScrolling) returnning a NULL. That method is inherited from wxView, and as far as I can tell it isn't meant to do that (ever) for an MDI-esque wxView.

What happens if you start it from the command line (with Open I suppose) and pass it one of the designs? Does it render anything useful?

It might be better to have this discussion on the dev list (see http://www.xaraxtreme.org/community/) by the way, there are more Mac folks there. I'm not sure they are a huge amount further forward than you though...

Alex
    IP

Ensure it is on your path, or in your preferences (when you've got it to run once, and then quit, you will have a .xaralx/preferences in your home directory), put this:
    ImageMagickPath=/sw/bin/convert
    replacing the existing line

Alex
    It is in my path ... for the shell I use (tchs). But I just realized I have no idea how the Finder passes paths to the applications it opens, since it (presumably) doesn't pay any attention to my preferred shell.
    IP

What happens if you start it from the command line (with Open I suppose) and pass it one of the designs? Does it render anything useful?
    Assuming I did it correctly ("open XaraLX.app"), it does the following:
    1) brings up the splash logo
    2) provides only two headings on the top menu bar: XaraLX and Help (this is in contrast to the case that I open it by clicking on the icon, when I got a full suite of menus)
    3) stubbornly fails to quit when told to do so.
    4) chews up CPU cycles until killed from the command line.

It might be better to have this discussion on the dev list (see http://www.xaraxtreme.org/community/) by the way, there are more Mac folks there. I'm not sure they are a huge amount further forward than you though...

Alex
    Fair enough .. I 'll check it out.
    IP

Interesting. When I installed Fink + Fink Commander yesterday, I don't recall it pointing out any of this when I fired it up for the first time. I'm new to Macs (as of a few days ago), but so far at least, my experience had been that when you install a new (pre-compiled) program, it runs, and there's no need to dig into documentation unless you run across something you don't understand. In every obvious respect at least, Fink Commander had been working fine for me so far.
    fink should explain this to you on its first run, and I would imagine that Fink Commander should as well, if you think that this was not happening for you, and you installed fink following the fink instructions, then this sounds like a defect in fink, and you you should submit it as a bug to fink .

See the First Time Installation guide for fink.

Yes, the Mac interface prides itself on the ease of installing programs, and their being highly usable without early recourse to manuals or online help. Whether this can be readily transferred to libraries such as wxWidgets or programmers' tools such as fink is a question that is still not totally solved...

Yes. It's what I've been using for 20 years, and no one had ever offered a reason why I should change. It gave me Emacs-style command-line editing and other benefits before other shells I knew about had that. If there's another shell (bash?) that I'd be better off with, I'm certainly willing to consider it, as long as the change isn't too painful.
    I was asking because the syntax needed in .rc files for the csh/tcsh differs from bash. bash is the more popular, and Apple switched the default from tcsh to bash with Panther. Someone is only likely to be using tcsh if they have deliberately set things that way, and I thought that it was more likely that I had misunderstood something. Sorry if my enquiry caused offence.

Note that you will be needed to look at a command like
    Code:
    source /sw/bin/init.csh
    and not the one I erroneously quoted.
    IP

... solving with the following ...
    Code:
    % sudo ln -s /Users/gpetty/wx/v263/build-unicode-debug/lib/libwx_macud-2.6.0.dylib /usr/local/lib/libwx_macud-2.6.0.dylib
    'Installing' by making a symbolic link will work, but if you are willing to modify your system to that degree, why not use the
    Code:
    make install
    target to properly install your wxWidgets. This will make several things simpler for you.

make[1]: *** No rule to make target `../wxOil/xrc/xaralx.po', needed by `XaraLX.pot'. Stop.
    I had that difficulty with xaralx.po, and I copied a working version of that file to the place from whence it seemed to be missing. It is possible that the Makefiles do not properly account for OBJDIR builds, and if one of us can establish a reproducible case, then it should be reported as a bug.

Ben.
    IP