Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Buttons Question...

Hi,
    I've always used xara x to draw templates....lines...and have always used other peoples backgrounds and graphics to fill them.
    Now, however, I'm starting to play with making my own graphics.I'm sure this is a pretty basic question for most of you since you make such wonderful things, but here goes...

I've been trying to make some buttons....but notice that there's a line down the middle of the button.
    Am attaching the file so you can see what I've done so far.
    Any info/help/tips would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks so much,
    Belle
    Okay....couldn't attach a file, but you can get it here
    www.bellesprintables.com/buttons.xar

Default Re: Buttons Question...

I can see the line on your elipse but I can't recreate it here. What happens if you create a new elipse?

Dave

Sorry Ithought you meant the guide lines, I did not see the lines referred to with my old eyesight I had to look very closely to see them.
    Last edited by parahandy; 14 May 2006 at 09:57 AM. Reason: sorry wrong lines

Belle

The only way that I can see a line is in wireframe view. I can't see one at full AntiAliasing.

The line viewable in wireframe is due to having the size of the bevel greater than the radius of the circle. Reduce the bevel size below the radius size and the line turns into a circle.

All this has absolutely no effect on the final image though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!Export.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	25660  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg

I see the vertical line straight through the button from top to bottom on full antialiasing.

Edit:- The line doesn't go fully across the circle.... I zoomed in to 800% and it stops short at the top and bottom.... as you say, it's the bevel......

Dave
    Last edited by toffeeman; 14 May 2006 at 12:51 PM.

Thanks guys.....but you're talking to a graphics novice here...

When I made the bevel 50 pix I get a darker "spot" in the center

I have, however, managed to attach the file this time!!

Thanks...Belle
    PS...what is wireframe?

PS Again.....is there a simple step by step to make a button like this that won't take 45 minutes like mine took me!!! {Grin}
    Attached Files Attached Files

Belle,

Did you take a look at Bob Hahns thread.

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=21262

Hope it helps.

Danny

Hi Belle,
    A few things i could make comments on: have a look at the help movies. You access them through the top menu under Help, then scroll down to Movies and watch a few times the two and Internet called "Creating Navigation Bars", "Creating JavaScript rollovers" this should give you a start. You can also have a look in the Gallery on this forum for Xara and there you will find sets of buttons that Bob Hann has posted and their of very high Quality and you can download them and see how he created them.http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=21262
    As the Bevel Tool is a bitmapped effect tool, that means the bevel part is not pure vector, you will always have a diffence between the shape that you have drawn and the effect that the Bevel Tool gives. Try increasing the Contrast up to 80% and the Light Elevation down to 30% as this reduces the diffence between the vector colouring and the bir mapped effect.

Don't worry about the time it takes I will not tell you how long my first navigation bar took to do, it was days rather than hours. Remember that you are learning and it takes time and there is no such thing as "Tinkerbell Dust" to solve all your problems at one go.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Thanks Danny, I'll go check it now.
    I don't get to forums very often, try to look over the various subjects when I'm able to try to learn more, but it seems like time is always an issue here

Quote Originally Posted by Belle
    PS...what is wireframe?
    Belle... there's a slider next to the magnet symbol at the top? Move that to the left and all the fills etc are removed - useful when trying to click on a shape buried amongst other shapes

There's a buttons tutorial in the videos that are supplied with XaraXtreme - I think it's called Gel Buttons.

Dave