Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Spot colors - in cmyk template or RGB color space ?

Hi,

i've just downloaded and installed the CMYK template which works great for working in the cmyk color space.

Now my question is; if i choose to use pms colors, should i use the cmyk template or should i work in the RGB space (both times with "Show print colors" turned on i guess) ?

Thanks in advance !

Default Re: Spot colors - in cmyk template or RGB color space ?

I'm not sure if it makes a difference what color space you select because essentially Xara operates in RGB color space.

The actual resemblence of Pantone spot colors to their printed counterparts (such as you see in the Pantone Matching System swatch books) is more accurate in the Simulate Print Colors mode.

For more information you can visit Workbook 23 - Pantone Color Matching System

Gary

Thanks for the reply - but it's still unclear to me.

As said the matter is not if the "Simulate Print Colors" option is turned on; i'm pretty confident those should be turned on anyway when working for print.
    The question still is - when it comes to Pantone colors, should i use the cmyk template or work in "normal" mode ?

As the same Pantone color looks different depending on if using the cmyk template or not.

I know that minomiro went to a lot of trouble when he created that template and so my guess is would probably be the one to use.

But that aside, Pantione colors were meant to be used as solid printed colors. So if you are using Pantone spot colors for a job that will be printed with Pantone inks as opposed to CMYK simulation of these colors, then your best reference is the swatch book of colors.

If your colors are going to be spot colors and not CMYK colors, you can prepare your art in any more because your art only needs to be black and white. The film will only know it is Pantone 300 C if you tell it. Or Pantone 150 U.

If you are using the Pantone colors as a palette to be printed in CMYK then by all means work in the CMYK template.

Gary