Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Border on the outside of an object

Is it possible to create a square object which is 100px by 100px and then give it a border 10px wide? The border must be outside the 100px by 100px square, so that the area inside the 10px border is 100px by 100px.

Just to further clarify, the square including the border would be 110px by 110px.

Hope this clear.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Default Re: Border on the outside of an object

What I've been doing, and this is just because it's quick for me is, first I have my image on the screen that needs a border. Then to create a border I make a seperate square or rectangle, in your case a square 110x110, then send it to the back. Now I select both the first image and the border "square" and go to Arrange>Alignment>and click in the center of the pop-up window. This centers the two images and the border is all even.
    If you want to change the color of the border just select it and left click in one of the colors at the bottom of the screen. (Don't forget to also right click that same color or your new border will have an outline around it.)

TaaDaa!

There are many other ways but I like this one for now.

mg

The way I did this was to create a square 100pix x 100 pix without surround then made the outside frame by making it 10pix x10pix with the line width tool
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Wastlinger,

There are several ways to do this. My prefered option would be:

1: Create a rectangle, no line width, 100 x 100 pixels.

2: Clone (Ctrl+K). Change fill colour.

3: Select the Contour tool. Type in a contour width of 10 pix. Mitre Join.

4: Click on the Inset Path icon.

5: Select the Selector Tool. Arrange / Move Backwards (Ctrl+Shift+B)

Not 100% sure on your original request. A 100 x 100 pix square with a 10 pix border would be 120 x 120 pix wouldn't it?

Norm, the problem with using line width to create the border is that the line width is applied half in and half out of the shape, therefore applying line width 'reduces' the internal shapes dimensions.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

half in half out? i never knew that - thanks egg and norm for another education.....
    -=Bob=-

Many thanks to all of you.

Egg, you are correct of course, 120px rather than 110px.

Or -

Create a 100pix square, no outline. Clone the square, set the fill to none and increase the outline width to 10pix.

Convert the outline to shapes (Arrange > Convert Line to Shape).

Alternatively

Create a 100pix square. Change the line width to 7.5 pts .75pt = 1 pixel time 10 for 10 pixels).

Convert line to shape.

Break Shapes.

Clone the smaller square. (Atl click to select it under the larger square).

Selecting both the cloned square and the lage square and combine shapes > subtract shapes.

The cloned small square remains as the fill.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill
    Wastlinger,

Norm, the problem with using line width to create the border is that the line width is applied half in and half out of the shape, therefore applying line width 'reduces' the internal shapes dimensions.
    Thanks again Egg for keeping me on right path. I checked my drawing again and found you were correct.

----------Norman.

Cheers Norman. One other thing to bear in mind re line widths, is you get two different sizes in the W & H boxes depending on wether you have the Scale Line Widths on or off.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host