Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Xara vs. ACD Canvas

Hi, new here. Long time dabbler with Canvas, a similar product that has gone all scientific and expensive. Thinking about jumping ship and trying Xara. Anyone here familiar with both?

Default Re: Xara vs. ACD Canvas

Hi jefboyardee,
    Welcome to the forum! Sorry, I don't have any experience with Canvas, but I'm sure someone else on the forum will.
    Best wishes,
    ron

Hi
    I tried a demo copy of canvas and also a free copy sometime before from a magazine.
    The free copy was a jack of all trades, I can do everything program, which lasted a couple of days before I gave up and uninstalled.
    I don't know what the lastest manifestation is like but I wasn't impressed with the version(s) I tried.
    Xara is supreme at doing what it does, and when you come to do something its not designed to do, you can often make do and do it with Xara anyway.
    I'd recommend anyone to try Xara at least, you've nothing to loose with a trial download and that way you can see if it will do what you need.
    If possible trial Canvas first that way you can see the improvement in speed and on screen display, not to mention work flow when you try Xara.
    Derek

I thought I answered this but I don't see my response so maybe I am halucinating.

Canvas is an excellent program with lots of innovative and excellent tools. But in my experience there are too many tools and functions and many of them are jammed into other tools and not intuitive to use or easy to find.

Xtreme is a model of powerful simplicity. The interface is interactive in much the same way as Canvas compared to a menu and dialog driven application such as Illustrator.

Xtreme has almost all the tools one might need. Not all though as you can see if you look through the various request for features topics that pop up from time to time. That said, most users find ways to get around some of Xtreme's missing features and manage to turn out some pretty exciting images. (Visit the Xara Gallery Conference to see examples of this work).

One of Xtreme's best features is right here in this forum. If you ask a question, mau times you will have an answer in minutes. And hardly any questions go unanswered for more than a day.

So, by all means, download the free 15-day trial and have a go. There are movies that explain the features and tons of tutorials and useful tips and tricks in the Xara Xone.

Gary

I thought I answered this but I don't see my response so maybe I am halucinating.

Can you read this? Then you are, because I never said it.

And while I’m not saying things, thanks all for recommending the trial version. If and when I get a shiny new PC, I’ll try it, then be back with a bag of questions.

I downloaded canvas sometimes ago... never used it, I suppose it is more like expression.

P.S. Gary is not halucinating, he's just day dreaming

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

I've used Canvas X for almost a year. Lots of hassle, unstable, steep learning curve, using effects or tweaking vectors is a pain in the a..

Uninstalled it, purchased Freehand for page layouts, but Xara still is my #1 2D application when it comes to drawing, illustration, design, flyers, logos, images, etc.

Xara is at least 20 times faster and sleeker with better results if you export your objects as *.eps.
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

I have used Canvas 8 for almost two or three years and really I would advise you to try XARA. It is a lot easier to use and there is almost anything that Canvas will do that you cannot do with XARA. The only problem I see with both of them is that there are few Print shops that will accept native XARA or Canvas files, but you can export the files to get them printed.

If I would need to choose a single software for all my needs I would choose Canvas, If you let me choose two I would choose XARA and Photopaint.

Lionel

Canvas 8 was a freebie in the UK a few months ago with one of the PC mags. I waited patiently for the SN as there were web problems at the time. The write up seemed to say install it and you'll love it.

Well, I did install it and it stayed on my PC for about a week. Hated it. In fairness, I'm nothing approaching an expert on vector or bitmap applications but I have fun with Xara Xtreme and DrawPlus 8. Can't say that about Canvas.....

Dave

Canvas seems to be a niche market product. I had a version of it for a couple of years, courtesy of an engineering firm that I had a gig with for a while. In all honesty Xara has a way of doing just about anything you'll need to do, at less than a quarter of the price.