Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: named colours

Default named colours

Simple question

Does a named colour and shades of a colour and tints etc only apply to a single file or does it transfer to all files using the primart colour?

thanks

Ian

Default Re: named colours

I do not believe they travel with the file.

However there is only one way to test that, eh?

Create some named colors, save and then reopen the file.

If this does not work, try creating a Template and see if that works.

Then let us know what you find out, OK?

Gary

Talking Re: named colours

Hi

As you suggested it didn't work however creating a template did.

Didn't realise that you could use templates for that.

So I created the template once I'f named the colour any document created had that colour,

cheers

Ian

Ian

All my templates have named colours and shades of named colours attached. It's far easier giving a shape a named colour fill the editing the named colour to suit than create new named colours and shades of colours.

I attach one here (I've posted it before) it has 2 named colours (Base1 and Base2 and 10 shades of each) plus a named colour 'newForum' to match this forums background colour.

I think the colours should transfer. If so just save as a xara template
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 02 May 2006 at 02:47 AM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Red face Re: named colours

thanks

I'll take a look

Ian

Thumbs up Re: named colours

Egg - gotta tell ya - you are the greatest. I am JUST NOW using layers and today using Named Color and Shades of Colors. If it weren't for your audio/video tutorials, I would never have understood these. I also just saved your template in this thread and plan on adding to it for my own template. Thank you so much!!!!! (Xara just keeps getting better all the time!)
    I actually was able to backtrack my way thru a complex drawing I am now working on and name the base color and make a lot of the others shades of it - and was I ever happy when I changed the color of the base and the entire pic changed appropriately!

Question: I now know what Named Colors and Shades are, but what's the diffference between them and Linked Colors or Tints (not to mention spot colors). I could read the Help files, but thought this might be something others might be curious about too. And... since you have such a great way with explaining stuff, I am asking you.

Quote Originally Posted by -=Drifter=- View Post
    Question: I now know what Named Colors and Shades are, but what's the diffference between them and Linked Colors or Tints (not to mention spot colors). I could read the Help files, but thought this might be something others might be curious about too. And... since you have such a great way with explaining stuff, I am asking you.
    Named colours you know about.

Shades and Tints are both special cases of linked colours. A shade (as you know) has the same fundamental hue as its parent, but lets you alter its saturation and its "value" (brightness) - they can be both increased and decreased. A tint effectively only lets you make the colour less saturated (as if it was an ink you were diluting). "Linked to another colour" lets you inherit a specific set of components from the parent colour. The rules are fundamentally similar but change the way the colour changes when you change the parent.

Alex

Thanks abligh. I'm still a little vague about the linked ones.

Quote Originally Posted by -=Drifter=- View Post
    Thanks abligh. I'm still a little vague about the linked ones.
    Why didn't you test it? Go ahead and try it. Practice is the best teacher, Bob.

OK, just did that. The TINT of another color is fantastic. It is an easy way to make new colors from the base color and to change just one aspect of the color with affecting others. Thanks abligh for encouraging me to do this.
    Last edited by -=Drifter=-; 16 September 2006 at 04:04 PM.