Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Xara/Sketchup

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Default Re: Xara/Sketchup

I attach a couple of images to show those not familiar with SketchUp the kind of detail it is possible to model in it. Sorry for the big file sizes.

The Victorian house was modelled by my buddy Alan Fraser who is a book illustrator. The house was done for a children's book a few years back using an old version of SketchUp. The new free Google SketchUp version is quite capable of doing such a complex model if you have the patience to work on such a project. Within such a project a program like Xara would still be valuable in preparing textures. I know Alan uses Photoshop for such things -- if he were smarter he'd be using Xara.

I have no doubt we'll be seeing new users of the free version develop the skills to do a complex project like Alan's. It's just a matter of time. The full version has an eight-hour demo --- you'd be amazed at what some new users accomplish within that eight hours.

Regards, Ross
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	victorian_house-by-alan-fraser.jpg 
Views:	804 
Size:	271.5 KB 
ID:	25362   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	victorian_house-streetlevel-by-alan-fraser.jpg 
Views:	696 
Size:	253.1 KB 
ID:	25363  

WOW!!! Well, I have been playing a little bit with it - kinda hard to get going - learning Xara is so much easier what with the videos, tutorials, workbooks, AND PEOPLE IN HERE!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'll say this though, it is just fascinating the way you can pull out a wall or something.... really really fascinating.
    -=Bob=-

Hey Drifter! Go here for some SketchUp videos. They relate to the full Pro version but almost everything in the videos relates to the free version. You'll find them as helpful to get you up to speed as the Xara ones are.

Regards, Ross

Thanks Ross. I just watching the opening part and it was great. I WILL BE watching these videos soon.
    Thanks again.
    -=Bob=-

I see they're going to have some videos just for the free version but when I tried the links they weren't working. Perhaps they will tomorrow. This stuff is all very new.

Regards, Ross

Great artwork presentation Ross.

I'm already scheming and dreaming what I'm gonna do with Sketchup.

Ross

You now realise that you have an entirely new function in life. That of Sketch-Up / Xara co-ordinator.

Scotts comments about this being a ripp-off made me chuckle. £300+ software available for free. A ripp-off!

I can imagine we'll need a whole new forum just to handle the Sketch-Up questions.

Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Realize the free software isn't the same as the full 'Pro' version. The primary difference is the free version is stripped of the model export (3d) options. The other is that if you save a jpg snapshot of your model, with the free version you are limited to your screen resolution. There are other differences but most users won't even notice. All the modeling, shadows, tourguide technology, display options, and texturing of the full version are there in the free. What's new to the free version is the higher degree of tie-in with Google Earth. That functionality in the Pro requires a plugin.

You folks might find it interesting that in the SketchUp Pro Forums there's lots of grumbling that the two products are too feature similar. Some Pro users are feeling ripped off (after paying $500 USD for the full version) or worried that Google will abandon the traditional architects/designers market. Clearly Google's goal at this moment is to get people to start populating Google Earth. The more people they can get familiar with, and enjoying Google Earth, the greater the demand will be when they role out 3d in-car gps-based navigation systems. They are working on it now. The idea is instead of just seeing a map you'd be driving through a 3d model. Instead of telling you the name of the street to turn on, it might say (and show you) turn right just after the big building you see just ahead.

As a $100 billion dollar company Google now have the resources to try some big things.
    Last edited by Ross Macintosh; 04 May 2006 at 12:40 AM.

I see the Google SketchUp video tutorials are now working.

As I noted previously, there are also the more comprehensive video tutorials relating to the 'Pro' version. You can find them here. They have lots of useful tips and techniques but they also cover some of the features not in the free version.

Note that complex, highly detailed models are built the same way as simple ones. The program has a small intuitive toolset that is very flexible. (Much like Xara in that regard).

Talking Re: Xara/Sketchup

My first SketchUp...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	axim.png 
Views:	457 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	25478  
    [OkeeneenaM]