Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Xara/Sketchup

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Default Re: SketchUp/Xara

Ian -- you are so right about those great Xara movies. They help the new user get their feet wet really quickly. By then following up with Xara tutorials from Gary's XaraXone website, a new user can quickly develop lots of valuable Xara skills.

Regards, Ross

Default Re: SketchUp/Xara

Thanks Risto --
    I see my buddy John Clements has started a thread on the new free SketchUp here in this forum. I've also started one in the 3d Forum.

Regards, Ross

Default Re: Xara/Sketchup

OK... Some related Sketchup/Xara threads have been merged. Hopefully it doesn't look TOO confusing.

Risto -- I'm sure it is confusing but we can handle it! I guess from this point the thread is as much about SketchUp as Xara.

If I can follow up on a point John Clements was making. You can export from the free Google SketchUp as a jpg that can then be brought into Xara and given some Xara magic. In a sense, both the images I attached that were merged into this thread involve Xara manipulations of SketchUp images. In the 'cover' example even the faded floorplan was drafted in SketchUp.

Scotty -- If you want the export capabilities, you'll need to buy the Pro version. Perhaps the free version will show you how user-friendly the SketchUp approach is and you'll be happy to join the tens of thousands of us who find the full Pro version is a very cost-effective tool.

Regards, Ross

Rist,
    you merged thread has broken link..I can't ge to it.
    Jim

Those are really good messages: First, Hexagon 2 - one of the most intuitive 3D Modeler - comes for $1,95 instead of $300 and then Sketchup free of charge. This month ends with many new software-packages on my PC ...

The Xara movies are absolutely superb. Plus I was memorized by that lovely voice ((blushes))

XaraXone is the ownage tutorial site of all tutorial Websites. I haven't even got through 2002 yet!!

Very nice program! Ross, I like what you've done with it and Xara! I appears there are several differences between the free and Pro versions. This is what their web site lists:

· Pro users are able to print and export raster images at higher-than-screen resolution.
    · Pro users have access to the following 3D export formats: DWG, DXF, 3DS, OBJ, XSI, VRML and FBX.
    · Pro users are able to export animations and walkthroughs as MOV (Mac) or AVI (Windows) files.
    · Pro users get the Sandbox Tools (for organic modeling of terrain, etc) and the Film & Stage Tools (for pre-viz work).
    · Pro users have access to the Pro Users' Forum
    · Pro users have access to free email tech support for two years after they buy SketchUp Pro
    · Finally, only SketchUp Pro is approved for commercial use; the Free version is licensed for personal use only.

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?

For most non-professional users the lack of those features won't be very significant. If you want to use it with other modelling software then not having the import/export features could be a pain. Those folks at least can really get to see how good a modelling program it is and then maybe they'll realize its worth getting the upgrade.

Another thing that could happen is this Google initiative could end up seeing SketchUp's .skp format being supported by more other software products. For instance perhaps Xara should be working on a .skp importer that would allow the faces and edges in SketchUp to be imported as 2d shapes and lines into Xara.

Regards, Ross

Here is an example of how SketchUp Personal edition could be an asset to artists old and new, talented and aspring.

Use SU to "blockout" your scene, figure out an eyecatching view angle, and determine vanishing points.

Export as blackline rendering.

I import that into XARA and put it on a locked layer.

Now use the it as a reference for the hand drawing you normally do in Xara.

This example could have as well been of a living room, hallway, dining room table with plates, etc. This technique will allow you more time to focus on details, colors, etc., not worry about the relative physical proportions of things in your composition.

Oh, and by the way, if you are unsure of where shadows should look when falling across other objects or planes, then SketchUp is perfect for that. Your Xara drawing look all that much better.

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	House-Vanishing Point.png 
Views:	406 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	25361  
    Last edited by jclements; 28 April 2006 at 10:48 PM.