Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Xara/Sketchup

Default Re: FYI: Google-SketchUp is now free

Could you export to PDF?

Did you try to print to PDF?

Also, you can make transparent PNGs (if there is a PNG export). Just change your layer(s) color to black, choose the layer option to color by layer. Now all objects are black ... now export to another PNG file ... you've got a perpect alpha mask to use with the "normal" mode PNG of the same drawing.

Yes but for a 3d modeller it should be able to export to other 3D formats, I have Byce and was hoping to export to use in Bryce, Rhino, Cararra as an object or 3dS file no such luck.
    Jim

You can also export the file in 2D bitmap and then use Xara to export out to AI/EPS format.

With that AI/EPS format you have a huge amount of possibilities. Like the attached rose with leaves (although a bit funky) was made from a simple cylinder constructed in Sketchup free.

The weird look trellice (spelling?) for a rose bush was also made in Sketchup free, imported to Xara and then exported out as AI/EPS. Put a sweep/extrude tool on it in your favorite 3D application and there ya go.

The usefulness with perspective view alone is mind boggling.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sketchsample.jpg 
Views:	499 
Size:	7.4 KB 
ID:	25334  

How about a nice building or buildings for your movie. I didn't even think about this, just slapped some stuff in and instant movie. The building makes the scene, great perspective view thanks to Sketchup free. Add if you want to spiff it up, import it to Xara. Own it up, slice it out, slap some textures on it, feather it, fill it or w/e and you have a very cool background for your animations not having to worry about perspective.

Don't try this at home kids, I made this ani while eating supper (chinese food with chopsticks, there was almost an incident!).

Name:	Animation1.gif 
Views:	500 
Size:	130.6 KB 
ID:	25335  
    Last edited by jamesmc; 28 April 2006 at 04:10 AM.

John,
    Thanks so much for the heads up! Very much appreciated.
    ron

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Default Re: architecural presentations.....

Indeed, I'm me!

Andrew -- Xara is an ideal product for me in presentation work, and all-round graphics related tasks. I'm not a photoshop user --- because as a long-time Xara user I've never needed photoshop. Many of the things other architects use photoshop for I do in Xara. I believe Xara is both easier to master and highly efficient.

Here's a fairly typical example of my use of Xara. I made a SketchUp model of a building design I'm working. I rendered it Kerkythea, the free rendering program, but because I'm a beginner with that program the rendering was pretty poor quality. Using Xara to process the image I was able to make part of the original into a useful image -- the result can be seen here in the SketchUp Gallery Forum. Subsequently I've used Xara to develop that earlier image into a cover I used on a portfolio I had to quickly pull together for a meeting. The amount of time spent developing this cover out of the earlier image was just several minutes. I had previously made the DesignStop logo bit so I just copied it over from another file and was easily able to adjust it to match the colour of the cover project.

I can attach many other examples if you want. Having used Xara almost everyday in my work for several years I've lots of examples!

Regards, Ross

Name:	cover.jpg 
Views:	491 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	25347  

Talking Re: architecural presentations.....

I jumped from Corel to Xara about 5 years ago, still never had the need for photoshop!

Just started playing with SketchUp! Amazing!

I'm an industrial engineer but got trough college by doing architectural drawings in AutoCad and man I could have used this one when we started going in to 3D in the early 90s...

Please direct me to the SketchUp forum.

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Default Re: architecural presentations.....

Esanabri - Here are the SketchUp Pro Forums. As a SU user you'll find them a great resource.

Just in the last day Google (owners of SketchUp) have released a new FREE version of SketchUp. If anyone's interested they can check it out here: Google SketchUP It has some limitations but nothing very crippling.

Andrew -- I attach another Xara rendering I did using a SketchUp model as my starting point...

Regards, Ross

Name:	aged-render.jpg 
Views:	446 
Size:	260.7 KB 
ID:	25352  

Red face Re: architecural presentations.....

Hi

I freely admit I can code web sites but graphics are not my forte I've tried them all and have most of them from paint shop pro throught to photoshop.

I have to say Xara extrme is the easiest I've found to use, the forum is also very helpfull and used by users.

For me the biggest + were the included help tutorial movies. You will also find the clip art is second to none.

It also exports well for flash and powerpoint

It is my program of choice for graphics! And No I'm not on commisions

Ian

Default Re: SketchUp/Xara

Ross and other Sketch-upers... I merged a post here by (alkolka) - see below.

I'm sure many are curious about the same thing.