Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Painter 9.5 and OSX conflict

Quote Originally Posted by Thelonious
    Jinny, I haven't tried using a scanner yet with P9 but I had reason to recently seeing as it now supports TWAIN. However I copied the twain plug in from photoshop into the corel plug-ins folder and I do get the Twain Acquire menu appear in the Painter File menu but it just causes Painter to instantly quit. Realise that you have not had a problem with pc but painter has only recently supported twain for mac. Because we are all well aware that macs are not used in the graphics industry. (rolls eyes)

I have posted a support request on the corel website, they suggested I place the twain driver into the plug-ins folder but since I updated my message saying that it crashes Painter they have not responded. Surprise surprise.
    You may receive a better response if you:

Send a concise and clear report directly to the Corel Painter development team instead of Corel Tech Support and ask them to respond with a solution if possible, or to let you know if they're working on the problem to fix it:

painterteam@corel.com

or...

steve.szoczei@corel.com

btw Jinny, can brushes be saved and exported in P9? I couldn't find a library mover for brushes.
    Yep!

To save a custom brush variant:

Brush Selector menu > Save Variant

Give it a unique name not already used by Painter, and click the OK button.

To "export" Painter IX brush variants (share custom brush variants or move either default or custom brush variants to new locations on your hard drive):

Painter IX custom brush variants or default brush variant files can be moved to other locations on your hard drive and custom brush variants can be shared with other users, but there's no Brush Mover like there was in earlier Painter versions. Not since Painter 7 and the advent of XML brush variants when Painter brushes were now managed in folders and files instead of in a single .BRS brush library file has there been a Brush Mover utility.

If they're custom brush variants, since the Painter IX application/program folder is read only and custom preferences, custom settings, and custom brushes are written by Painter IX to the User folder, they'll be stored in your User folder's Painter IX > Brushes folder, in the appropriate brush library and its appropriate brush category folder:

Mac - /Users/[User Name]/Library/Application Support/Corel/Painter IX/Brushes

Windows - Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Corel\Painter IX\Brushes

You'll probably see other files with the same names as your custom brush variant file:

Category Data.XML (automatically generated by Painter IX, a file containing information as to the currently selected brush variant)
    C_ (cached brush variant name).XML
    .JPG (Captured Dab image file, if the brush variant is a Captured Dab variant)
    .NIB (brush nib file)
    .STK (brush stroke file)

If you want to share a custom brush variant, you don't need to include the Category Data.XML, .NIB, and .STK files since those are generated automatically by Painter IX. You probably won't want to include the c_(cached brush variant name).XML file either, since it's another file automatically generated by Painter IX to contain temporary user settings.

Copy the .XML brush variant file(s) and JPG Captured Dab image file(s), if there are any Captured Dab variants, and if there are several files you want to share, ZIP them, then upload them to your website server.

If you want to share a brush category, be sure to include the 30 x 30 pixel JPG brush category icon image file found in the same brush library folder, that has the same file name as the brush category folder name. Copy both the brush category folder and the .JPG brush category icon image file, ZIP them, and upload them to your website server.

If you want to share a brush library, copy the brush library folder, ZIP it, and upload it to your website server.

If you just want to copy and paste folders and/or files to a new location, that's easy too. If you want to copy and paste a brush category folder, just don't forget to also copy and paste its associated 30 x 30 pixel JPG brush category icon image file.

Double-L You are correct in that 10.4.3 should be fine as should any old wacom drivers as i have had no problem with either.

The glow brush issue could just be a corrupted cache file or preference file. To test this you should have a spare admin account set up just for this purpose in order to isolate problem to either your user folder or the system. If the problem with the glow brush quitting does not happen in your spare test account you can be fairly confident that the problem is in a corrupted cache file (or maybe pref file) in your home/library folder. It is safe to delete the contents of any cache file.
    The quicker way would be to simply restore the brush variant to its default state:

Brush Selector menu > Restore Default Variant

When we do this, Painter IX automatically deletes the cached variant file (brush variant .XML file with the same name as the default variant but with its file name preceded by c_ ).
    Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley and The PainterFactory
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Double-L
    Jinny, Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You

When I read your first sentence of explanation, I just knew that had to be the issue and it was; the canvas had been blocked in with Digital Watercolor. It never occured to me to "dry" it, as I thought that was only necessary with Watercolor and Liquid Ink. I'm printing out your email to put in the book with the Wacom Manual - I printed out all 395 pages of it and have honestly read it front to back, but only once thus far. Perhaps because I am just not familiar with Painter yet, the manual seems a little obtuse to me. (My favorite, which is obviously a mistake, is on page 45, under, I believe, floating Objects, where the text refers you back to that same page and heading for more reference - but tells you nothing about the effect!)

Anyway, thanks again.

Thelonius- As for the Wacom driver, I have 4.9.3-3. Thanks for your help, too.
    You're welcome!

To learn about Floating Objects and how to work with them, read the following (I don't have a hard copy User Guide but this is easier anyway):

Painter IX Help > Help Topics > Index tab

Type Floating Objects at the top of the left panel, then click the Display button at the bottom of the left panel. A new (small) window opens on the left panel with two topics listed.

Highlight Editing Layers and click the Display button at the bottom of that window.

On the right panel, read all of the information under the main heading, Working with Floating Objects.
    Jinny Brown
    IP

Thelonius,
    I only had the scanner issue while I had Painter 9.5 installed, and then the scanner wouldn't work in ANY program. I uninstalled the update, reinstalled from the Painter 9 CD and my scanner has been fine. The glow brush issue was also resolved. I am still seeing some sluggishness on my computer that I don't believe was there before I installed Painter, but at least I am able to get some work done.

Originally I thought that perhaps there was some conflict with OSX, but now it seems that the problems are more likely a combination of my own ignorance AND some buggy updates. I am reluctant to reinstall the 9.1/9.5 upgrades at this time. Maybe when I finish my current project.
    IP

Double-L

Thanks for the info about the scanner working in 9.1, I don't feel like reinstalling unless Corel admit that it's a bug they can't fix till the next update.

Jinny

I asked you about exporting brushes on the 12th May. You didn't answer so I spent about two hours going through it in great detail. It is a typically idiotic Corel implementation. After doing all the hard work I thought I'd write a complete tutorial on creating and exporting whole Libraries with subsets of Categories in a way that covers all the confusing bits and missing information left out of the online manual. I did this on the 13th May, you surely would have seen it at the top of the Painter forum in a thread called Tutorial: Create your own brush library.

Yet unbelievably 5 days later on the 18th May you have the audacity to answer my earlier question in a way that is not only incomplete and confusing but contains all the ridiculously confusing information that my tutorial was designed to address. Are you on medication?
    Last edited by Thelonious; 21 May 2006 at 12:03 AM.
    IP

Thelonious,

I'll try hard to remember not to respond to your posts in the future.

Have a great weekend!
    Jinny Brown
    IP