Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default scaling rectangles and rounded corners

Hi All,

I'm encountering the following and need to know the work around if any. I make a rectangle with rounded corners, scale it by dragging one of the side handles and the radius of the corners scales and deforms. So I thought I'll unround the corners, scale and re-round them, but it "remembers" that it's been scaled and still has the deformed corners. And seems I can't select or move just the control points. So is there a way around this?

Thanks, Scott

Default Re: scaling rectangles and rounded corners

Hi Scott

Just Select / Arrange / Convert to Editable Shapes.

Now with the Shape Editor tool select the nodes you want to adjust and Ctrl-Drag to adjust the shape but keep the rounded proportions.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

While Egg's way works, it's a bit tedious.

I just make a new rectangle with the same dimensions, then turn on Rounded Corners.

This is a very annoying feature of Xara.

Default Where There Is A Will There Is Another Way

You can take any Quick Shape (such as a rectangle), round its corners, type center justified text on top of the shape, center the text and shape, select both, and then create a single-button Button Bar.

As you modify the text characters or scale the text, the shape will resize and its corner radii will be maintained.

You could even move the text off the page, change it, and the round corners of the associated rectangle shape will not deform.

Now make the text the same color as the QuickShape and you'll have what appears to be a rectangle you can stretch and shape without deforming the corner radii.

This is all trickery and probably has no practical use in an illustration but it does proove that there is code embedded in Xara that could concievably (I think) be adapted for a NEW type of rectangle tool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scalable, round-cornered rectangls.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	25242  
    Last edited by jclements; 23 April 2006 at 06:07 PM.

(John - was your response to this question?)

My preferred method is to create a rectangle and scale the rectangle to the exact size you want it. Then with Snap to Objects enabled, snap a new rectangle to the edited one. Now when you round the corners they will be proportional and round.

Egg's suggestion is what I would do once the corners have be rounded and you need to resize the rectangle. But once you do that, you loose the ability to edit the corner roundness.

Gary

Hi Gary,

Yes this was a roundabout response.

I use the method you and Graham mention as well as converting the rectangle to editable objects, then nudging the nodes of the rounded corner.

The above reply was just something I discovered a long time ago to demostrate another technique (impractical as it may be :-} ).
    Last edited by jclements; 23 April 2006 at 08:20 PM.