Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How to install plug ins

Hello

Maybe this is a dumb question, but I am new in Xara.

How do you INSTALL plugins?

Candoo

Default Re: How to install plug ins

It depends on the plugin. Some are just zipped *.8BF files. Those would be unzipped to a folder, and you would point Xara to the folder.

There a few that would be like installable programs.

You might find a few that are EXE files that are self extracting to an *.8BF.

8Bf is a common extension.

Find something you want to install or extract, and go from there.

Not all filters work.

I remember Extreme will search for plugins where ever you direct.

I have a few that were installed in the Photoshop plugin directory, and I can point to there if I want to use them.

Rich

Hi Rich

Thanks for your reply.

What do you mean when you say POINT Xara to the folder. And if the Plug In has an exe extention does it install itself in Xara?

If the Plug In does not work with Xara how do you delete it?

I guess there must be tons of Plug Ins out there. Is there a list of Plug Ins compatable with Xara X?

Candoo

You can click the 'Plugin' icon the choose 'setup" then "add" where you can browse to the directory where you store your plugins.. or to remove them just select the directory and select remove.
    This can also be accomplished through the main setup menu under options..general..you arrive at the same menu selection either way.
    Jim

An EXE file may let you install to a folder. There are self extracting type EXE files, too. WinZip had a self extracting EXE. You would click on the file and it would extract without needing WinZip. Some times you need to try it and see what you get.

Most of the plugins are single files, and you can just delete them. You would want to remove them from the Xara list as well.

There is a list of plugins a few people have tried. You might try a search. I'll look when I get a chance. I have added one of my major folders of things that probably work. I have another folder of things to look at some day.

Are you using Xara X1 or Extreme. There are a couple of differences on what you will see as far as setup. X1 won't use 32 bit files or apply plugins to objects.

See if you can find a plugin and try getting it to work.

Ask if there is soomething you don't understand.

Rich

I usually do a web search for free photpshop plugins.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	List.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	25188  

Hi Rich

I'm using Xara Xtreme 2.0f. I also work with Corel Paint Shop Pro X and Ulead Photo Impact XL. I wonder if the plug ins of those programs work with Xara X

Thanks for your help
    Candoo

PI has an Eyecandy 4000 plugin, and as I remember there were different functions available in the demo version. In Extreme, you would see the plugin appear more than once. I don't think the native plugins work in anything but PSP or PI. You would need to tell Xtreme to look in those applications, and see if anything new appears. Super Blade Pro that was written for Photoshop and PSP will work in Extreme. I have never gotten any AutoFX plugins to work in Extreme.

Photoshop compatible plugins are most likely to work.

Photoshop plugins version 6 and above will not work.

Rich

Exclamation Re: How to install plug ins

I covered the steps for adding filters to be used with the Live Effects Tool in Workbook 43.

Gary