Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default So you can't Draw Part 1 of 6

Okay, here it is and you have a project. Someone wants you to draw figures doing something. Well...if you are like me, you really suck at drawing and I really, really do suck at drawing. Hey! I was trained as a Safety Engineer, we didn't have art in the curriculum!

Here's a non-artist approach to making poseable (POSED) figures. It is beautiful artwork? heck no!

Is is effective? Yeah, for me and maybe for you, if you suffer from lack of art training or genetic inbred artistic talent.

Okay, here are some samples to get you started. Introducing Geo-Shape Man in the top left corner; next we have a martial artist Geo-Shape man; next we have a crime scene victim (ugh); next we have a golfer; next is a showman Geo-Shape man leaning on his cane. Lastly we have a banana daquiri drink gorilla looking thing or not???

Why Geo-Shape Man? Because he is made up of proportioned, geometric shapes and can be easily manipulated by just dragging his body parts to the proper position. If you are interested, read the next five threads. If you are an artist, go away! Just kidding.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	figure 1.png 
Views:	736 
Size:	13.6 KB 
ID:	24893  
    Last edited by jamesmc; 13 April 2006 at 02:00 AM.

Default Re: So you can't Draw Part 2 of 6

This is part 2, I come back and add text to this if necessary.

Name:	figure 2.png 
Views:	750 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	24894  

Default Re: So you can't Draw Part 3 of 6

part 3. If more explanation is needed just ask.

Name:	figure 3.png 
Views:	741 
Size:	12.1 KB 
ID:	24895  
    Last edited by jamesmc; 13 April 2006 at 02:24 AM.

Default Re: So you can't Draw Part 4 of 6

Part 4. Let me know if you need more instructions or hints. I can avoid the issue like a , er help you with what you need.

Name:	figure 4.png 
Views:	738 
Size:	7.0 KB 
ID:	24896  

Default Re: So you can't Draw Part 5 of 6

Part 5 almost there!

Name:	figure 5.png 
Views:	731 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	24897  

Default Re: So you can't Draw Part 6 of 6

Part 6, Painting it in.

Here my finished product is a UPS guy delivering ummm... lead weighted lipstick, yeah that's it.

Notice on the Geo-Shape Man that it has an outline around it that is very rough. This is the most important step to bring reality to your geometrically shaped character.

Do you have to be accurate? Nope! Just draw an outline around the Geo-Shape man. It doesn't even have to be good, like mine wasn't.

Then, start painting on your posed GeoShape Man outline.

My suggestion. Do each step in Layers. If you don't know how to do layers just ask. Make the Geo-Shape Man in one Layer, The outline shape in another layer and the painting of the outline in another layer.

Give your character a prop if you want. Mine has a case of lead-weighted lipstick or some such thing.

Name:	figure 6.png 
Views:	747 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	24898  

Default Re: So you can't Draw Part 1 of 6

Things to remember about Geo-Shape Man project.

1. Always save Geo-Shape man in a separate file after you make it. You may find a need to use it again.
    2. Remember each part of Geo-Shape man can be resized, stretched out or any other thing you want to do with it in your favorite paint program (Xara.)
    3. I would recommend that you pose your character first before stretching, resize or whatever. This way you can fine tune the look of "perspective" as you proceed in your drawing.
    4. You can use Geo-Shape Man as a posed figure in individual frames (hint, hint.) Just strike a pose (insert Madonna music here) go to next frame, change the pose and repeat ad nauseum. Do the artwork AFTER you pose please.

Other things to remember:

1. Clean Design First - Start with nothing but Geo-Shape Man on the page.
    2. Conceptual art (actual finished project) comes later after posing and outlining.
    3. Females are slightly different than males (gasps.) You can turn Geo-Shape Man into a female, by just slightly lowering the nipple line, give it a proper buttocks if in side view, make the shoulders chest slightly smaller (if you want) and do whatever you wish actually.
    4. If you know the power of Xara or your favorite paint program, then you will find the Simplicity of Geo-Shape Man and how it will help you with your bidpedal projects (that's people or two legged creature drawing.)

Yes, there is still a ton to know about making human figures in art. This is what I do and it works for me. Hope you find good use for it.

NOTE: Making cartoon characters is different. Can you use Geo-Shape Man? Yep! Just remember that arms are shorter, heads can be bigger or smaller, bodies shorter, feet longer, etc. etc.

....you can also make space monsters and other two legged monsters, let your imagination run wild.
    Last edited by jamesmc; 13 April 2006 at 01:58 AM.

Very good information James. Thanks.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Excellent!
    Tony

Very nice, something I can definitly use, being artistically challenged. Thanks and have a good one, Willy