Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Import and export formats

As I have no experience with Xara LX yet, and became interested as Xara LX is going OSS/GPL on Linux, I would like to know:

Which import and export formats are supported to exchange files with other applications?
    I've read SVG support is coming soon. What about support for general Cad export/import formats like DXF and/or Open DWG?

Terje
    IP

Post Re: Import and export formats

Xara LX is great! It's more intuitive than Inkscape - very easy to use
    Xara could become as popular in graphics as Open Office in the text processing... but it must be compatible with the most pular vector editors (Corel Draw and Adobe Illustrator). Open Office is so popular becouse it can open *.doc files.
    I know that implementing *.ai support is not a problem, becouse Inkscape supports it. Unfortunately Corel draw file format (*.cdr) support is very problematic becouse no open source program support it.
    I live in Poland where Corel Draw is more popular than Adobe Illustrator so *.cdr support is very important. Probably the same situation is in all Central/Eastern Europe (Czech Republic, Slovakia )
    Which import and export formats are supported to exchange files with other applications?
    Xara is not finished yet so it supports *.xar, *.jpg, *.png, *.gif only.
    Last edited by wojtek79; 04 May 2006 at 07:44 PM.
    IP

Default Re: Import and export formats

Looking at the Windows version of Xara it supports just about all the file formats including Corel 3 and 4 plus .ai. I like it because it handles .wmf. <smile>

Xara is coming along nicely... will be a killer app for Linux. Thanks for the product.
    IP

Hello, I'm new and my native language is not english, so sorry for my mistakes.
    A short time ago I found Xara Extreme for linux an I started to work whith it sometimes. I use now the unstable version xaralx0.5_rev1157 an I try now a graphic whith fotos in it. I can import them, but I want to export the whole ready graphic as a jpeg or another format that I can use on a website. So I wanted to use the "export" function, but it doesn't work as I want. It didn't export my graphic as a jpg. My question is, did I make a mistake or is this function not implemented now.
    Thanks for your help. And thanks for this nice graphic programm, I want to work complete with linux soon, an this programm helps me.
    IP

JPG export does work but it's a bit convoluted right now. When you select export, you have to expand the file selector (Browse for other folders). From the file selector select JPG file type and now when you come to export it will save it as a JPG - you can control the JPG quality from the Options tab.

We hope to improve this to make it more obvious soon.
    IP

Thanks, Version 0.5_rev1184 works now good. I can export the file correct as a jpg.
    With Version 1157 it did'nt work, I could'nt export my file as a jpg. I tried it as you discribed.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by terje
    I've read SVG support is coming soon.
    That's the most important vector format, because it's a standard and open.
    I suggest to support PDF and EPS/PS soon, too.

cdr isn't that important, but maybe easy to implement, because xara xtreme supports it, so: why not?

ai is a defacto standard in vector graphics, and in newer Adobe Illustrator versions it's very similar to pdf...

freehand... Just follow the things that will happen to freehand in the near future...

DXF is maybe the most important format for CAD?
    IP