Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default "copying" curves

Hi everyone!

I'm wondering how one can "copy" curves... Say I make an S for example...

so then I want to take the upper left curve of the S and put it in a new object, say to make a "wave" or something coming off of it... what would be the best method to copying that curve, or furthermore somehow "putting" the curve into an object --- sure, I'd think subtract objects- however it seems like it adds unneccessary nodes whenever I do that- what methods are there?

Thanks
    RonC

Default Re: "copying" curves

Hi Ron,

I'm not sure that copying the upper curve of a letter S is a very efficient way of doing what I think you want to do.

Using the Shape Editor to make your curve you control the number of nodes and the shape of the curve. Change the line width to what you need and also select the type of end cap from the line gallery.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	curve.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	24821  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hi RonC,

Use the "Snap to objects", (the magnet icon in top toolbar or from Window menu), and place the new object on the first one. Then use F4 Shape editor to adjust the other object's curve to the first one's shape.

To copy part of a curve, between selected nodes, copy the whole object then use 'break at points' with the shape editor tool to isolate the bit you want. If there's no node at the point you want to start, click and add one.
    To insert into another object use break at points in the same way and join them together. As you say, using the combine, add or subtract function often leads to unnecessary additional nodes.
    Tony
    I keep a selection of curves and simple objects in my clipart gallery for just this purpose

I was trying to use Tony's break at points method for creating pieces of curves, but sometimes when I succeed in executing the command all of the segments disappear and just the handles remain visible and if I then click the selction tool everything disappears ??!!

Barry,

That will happen if you brake a shape with fill, but no outline. There is nothing left for Xara to show.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryWilkins
    I was trying to use Tony's break at points method for creating pieces of curves, but sometimes when I succeed in executing the command all of the segments disappear and just the handles remain visible and if I then click the selction tool everything disappears ??!!
    When you break a closed shape the fill disappears but the stroke should remain. Assuming you have set one...
    Tony