Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default April Xara Xone - Tutorial - Featured Art - Free Stuff!

The April 1 Xara Xone

Thanks to Simon for sharing his elegant graphic design and illustration talents. (Featured Artist page)

Thanks to Gary Bouton (the other Gary) for making his complex lens flare available (just copy it from his XAR file and paste it into your drawing). (Shareware > Templates page)

Thanks to Dmitry for XX Tune which among many other things, creates backup files (BAK) each time you save your work. (Shareware Page)

New links and more. Drop in and see.

Comments and kudos are always welcome and appreciated.

Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	april_06-xone-promo.png 
Views:	742 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	24527  

Default Re: April Xara Xone - Tutorial - Featured Art - Free Stuff!

You did it again, Gary! All great stuff! How you come up with Tutorials every month and then the Workbook and finding a featured artist, and, and, and, it just amazes me! Simon's work is classic. His logo philosophy makes me think hard about avoiding special effects in a logo. Sometimes you can get too fancy and a logo only looks good in full color at high resolution.

I was happy to get the Lens Flare template. Got me thinking. I wonder if you could make a Brush out of it? That way you could draw a line and have all the spheres stretch out along it at the angle you want. All perfectly lined up. I tried it with Gary's and it all came out screwy. So maybe I need to ungroup or regroup or convert to bitmaps or something to get it to work. I think that would be useful if one of our TG geeks could figure it out and post for all to use.

Much thanks to all!
    ron

2 Corrections to the tutorial. Page 9, Step 2, the Lock Aspect Ratio should be disabled (in the up position), not in the down position as stated, to non-proportionately scale the hinge.

In the last step, the selected objects need to be Converted to Editable Shapes before the perspective envelope can be applied.

Gary

Thanks for April, Gary!

I didn't DO the tutorial, but I did READ through the WHOLE thing. Shading, perspective useful vector techniques tend to slip by me... However, I'm sure it will be very useful to anyone who REALLY wants to learn how to draw in any vector application.

Dmitry,

Your talent, generosity, time, and hard-work has long ago moved beyond anything that can be expressed in a post like this. It's weak, I know, but thank you! - thank you! - thank you! I can't buy you a beer, but if you have a PayPal account - drop me a note through a PM... and I will make sure you will have very nice beer AND a steak on me, where you are at.

Gary Bouton,

Thanks for your contribution also! Lately I have been busy working as analog as it gets - scissors and paper... But the XaraXone is place of all kinds of wonderful things - I'm sure the lense flare will come in handy.

Simon,

Love it! And always did! Great to see that many of your imagery in one place. It's very enjoyable and inspiring! The best logo 'symbol' is NOT the link one - it's the spider! The spider! SPIDER! It's really cool!

The "frogs" and "marmite"(sp?) are also something that sticks out to ME.
    Last edited by RTK; 07 April 2006 at 05:13 AM.

"The "frogs" and "marmite"(sp?) are also something that sticks out to ME."

Will they be blended together and served on toast or stirred into a risoto, either way lip smackingly good sounding, I'll pop along to the Xaraxone for the recipe.

))
    Thanks, Risto. I have no PayPal or any other accounts
    You comment is already a great pleasure for me.

Thanks, Gary for posting XX Tune. BTW, in some places you misstype XX tuBe. (shareware page)
    Regards, Dmitry.
    Useful utils for Xara: http://xaraxtv.at.tut.by

Red face Re: April Xara Xone - Tutorial - Featured Art - Free Stuff!

Ack! Tubes removed.

Gary

Gary, I am having a problem early on in the brass hinge tutorial. When I select the five small rectangles and combine - add, I am left with lines between them all. If I simply select no line for the entire tube, they go away, but so does the tube's outline.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brass hinge tube.jpg 
Views:	388 
Size:	4.0 KB 
ID:	24877  
    -=Bob=-

The rectangles in the middle (not the first of the last ones) need to overlap more. Or you can stretch on of the middle rectangles vertically to cover the top and bottom rectangles and then Add Shapes and delete what ever is left.

Gary