Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SQL Server

Default SQL Server

I have been a Photoshop and PSP user for awhile but recently downloaded the 15 Day Trial of Xara Xtreme to have a look around. I've played many of the videos and gone through a few tutorials and like what I see. So far everything appears to be in order and working fine with one exception. When I click on any of my .JPGs with an Xara icon, I receive the following message:

"Please wait while Windows configures Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine. Gaithering required information."

Each time I click on another photo it takes nearly 10 minutes to gather this information before my image appears on the edit screen. I've downloaded and installed the trial software several times on a clean computer but it continues to bring up that same SQL Server message and another long wait.

I was hoping someone could make a suggestion as what may be causing this or what I am doing wrong.

Many thanks,

John

Default Re: SQL Server

I guess I should clarify my situation further by mentioning the problems are only present when opening the Picture Editor. All other Xara Xtreme functions appear normal.

Sounds like your computer is a little lost.
    Try right clicking on a jpg icon instead ( or other picture format), and choose "Open with", then click on "choose program" at the bottom of the menu and then pick the program of your choice. Check the box "always use the selected program to open this type of file".
    Your computer will know which program to use to open that kind of file from that point forward. -AF

Quote Originally Posted by AndFarr
    Sounds like your computer is a little lost.
    Try right clicking on a jpg icon instead ( or other picture format), and choose "Open with", then click on "choose program" at the bottom of the menu and then pick the program of your choice. Check the box
    Your computer will know which program to use to open that kind of file from that point forward. -AF
    AF,

Many thanks for your informative reply. I have followed your suggestions but the pop-up message continues. It attemps to be trying to load something but the red bars only reach the halfway point. After a few minutes the pop-up disappears and XPE works fine. Each time I load a new image the same thing happens. It is mostly an annoyance or inconvenience.

I don't believe it is an XARA fault. Perhaps the source has something to do with my Windows XP Media Center 2005. Apparently, no one else seems to have experienced this oddity and I feel certain it is likely a local situation.

I have a few days remaining on my trial version so we'll see what happens as I continue to explore the possibilities. I'll make a purchase determination at that time. Thanks again,

John

John

I don't understand this bit:
    When I click on any of my .JPGs with an Xara icon......
    Surely a jpg has it's own icon, not a Xara icon. Could you explain further?

Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill
    John

I don't understand this bit:

Surely a jpg has it's own icon, not a Xara icon. Could you explain further?

Egg

My experience has been jpg icons can have many different looks, depending upon the software one selects to open them.

Normally, my jpg images are opened with Photoshop. This is my current photo software. Photoshop uses a digital camera picture on their icon design. Now that I'm using Xara, for convenience I decided to "open with" Xara and all the icons now look different, but they are still the same jpgs as they were in Photoshop.

I agree Egg, a jpg is a jpg wherever it is, but their icons do come in various flavors. Perhaps I did not explain myself very well in previous posts, and maybe not in this one either, if so, please accept my apoligies.

John

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

You can assign any icon to any file type. If you've modified the 'open with', did you modify the start folder and dll as well?
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

jens,

Thank you for your coments.

I understand how the "Open With" functions but this is not my problem.

When I drag any image into Xara Xtreme it performs normally and I can do anything with it. However, when I drag an image into XPE, I receive the following message:

"Please wait while Windows configures Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine. Gaithering required information."

After about a 5 minute wait the pop-up message disappears and the image is loaded into XPE. I can now work on the image and everything is fine.

I'm not sure why this pop-up appears each time I load an image into XPE or what is the function of the SQL Server Desktop Engine, but I'll keep looking.

John
    Last edited by ww2vet; 26 March 2006 at 07:29 PM.

Smile Re: SQL Server

Media Center is obviously trying to connect to a server when a certain type of file is opened, does this happen when you drag the same file into Media Center's default JPG editor. There has to be a Settings Dialog somewhere to change this behavior but I am unfamiliar with Media Center. XPE might have taken over some control Media Center is use to having. Keep digging you will find it.

Quote Originally Posted by sunland
    Media Center is obviously trying to connect to a server when a certain type of file is opened
    I'm not sure that is true as I have seen it here with other programmes. It has usually meant that certain dll files have not registered correctly with the OS.
    This can often be caused by antivirus software and other such programmes. The best advice on instslling software is to disable your antivirus package, as well as other 'protective' software such as Spyware Doctor etc.

I don't have Media Centre.

Dave