Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Help - exporting to given size&dpi?

Hi,

I need to make opening and closing titles to a film trailer, ok so boot up Xara and finish the job in 20 minutes, feeling good, they look spanky cool and all that.

Then I start exporting them, and run into a beginner problem: the digibeta format used for the trailer requires the title pages in:

"jpg or tiff
    1024 x 576 pix
    RGB
    resolution 72"

Right, I made the images in 1024x576, but how do I get them exported at 72 dpi AND 1024x576?

Can I use scaling for this, and what would be the scaling factor?

thanks in advance,

.jon

Default Re: Help - exporting to given size&dpi?

Hi Jon,

On the export dialog for .jpg files there is a tab for bitmap size. You can enter the dimension and dpi there. For .tif files the dialog has the dimension and dpi on the main dialog window.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.gif 
Views:	195 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	24313  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thanks,

The problem is that the dialogs are interconnected, if I reduce the dpi to 72, the dimensions will also decrease. If I correct the dimensions, hoplaa - the dpi is back to 96.

Now I'm too stupid to calculate the size of my image, and the relative font sizes etc, so that I could export in 72dpi while still getting a 1024*576 image. I was hoping that Xara has some way of calculating this for me.

Jon,

The 72 dpi is an Adobe hold over from ages ago. Apple MacIntosh computers stopped using that resolution a long time ago.

I would create the image at the specified length and width, in the export dialog change the dpi to 72 and do not adjust the length and width value on that dialog. Have the person requesting the file see how it appears in their application. It may be the specified values for them.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

The requirement comes from the video format, and I can't let someone else stretch bitmaps - the titles include detailed logos.

But no probs, I made them all larger, exported in 72 dpi and cropped to the correct dimensions. [edit] OR at least I tried. I can of course see it on my screen only in 96dpi.

I don't know what do anymore. :-(

thanks & sunny days,

.jon
    Last edited by Jon G; 24 March 2006 at 07:36 PM.

In this situation, I export at 96 dpi and then resize in Photoshop using resample. You can then set pixel size and resolution to suit. In fact any bitmap application that has resample as an option will do (even the freeware IrfanView can do this).
    Last edited by stratocast; 25 March 2006 at 07:15 AM.
    -- Bob

Jon
    Try the attached xar file. It has the scaling set to correct for the 96dpi/72dpi problem. Just draw your vectors to the required pixel size, select & export. Under the Bitmap Size tab the pixel demensions will be different than those used on screen, but if you alter the dpi to 72 they will match those on screen.
    Egg
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thank you very much,

Egg Bramhill and stratocaster - both methods worked.