Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need a hand

Default need a hand

Hi! Still very very new! I'm trying to do a fairly realistic illustration of a hand. Egg's recent mini tutorial on the cat's ear helped quite a bit. I traced a photo of a hand and then filled it in. It still looks pretty 2D and I know the shading is not quite right. I'm happy with it as it really is my first time doing this outside of following a tutorial/workbook!

But I'd love some advice on how to make it better and what I'm missing. Help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hand.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	24303  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: need a hand

Hi Fyip,

I think you only need to add some details by using some lines. Just a few lines added for an example.

Name:	hand-edit.jpg 
Views:	359 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	24306  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Yeah, I knew I needed lines, but didn't know how to make them look "natural!"
    Thanks so much for your help!

Wow! I'm totally impressed! Excellent hand/arm, both before and after the lines!!!!!
    -=Bob=-

Pretty good for a newbie.

Your highlights are too white. As I look at my hand, the "highlights" are my skin color, and the various mounds and the palm side of my thumb are darker (in my case, more pink) with the deepest shades being on the tips of my fingers.

A couple of years ago, I played "color compare" with some African friends. For all of us, where the lighter and darker areas were was sometimes surprising. Also, for them there was more contrast between the lighter and darker areas than there was for me.

Instead of thinking where highlights and darker areas should go, look at your own hand and go from there.

Also, Soquili's lines are in the right places, but they're too smooth. The lines in most hands are uneven (a number of mine are braided). They're definitely not smooth. So take a look at the styles in the Line Gallery, and see where they take you.

Thanks, Drifter!

Thanks, Amoore - you're right about the highlights being too white. I was using named colors and should have picked a darker tint. I'm trying to get the shading down with fills and transparencies ... so this was a start! (it took me ALL day to just do that! )

I'll keep playing around and see if I can improve the darker/lighter areas and add some rougher creases.

I just wanted to know if I was on the right track, so I appreciate your answers! I'll keep chugging along ...

Hi Fyip,
    You are certainly on the right track! To inncrease the 3D look try the light source off centre so that you have one edge darker than the other this gives any drawing a stronger sence of reality.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Thanks, Albacore. Your suggestion is my next step. So far, I've only added the palm lines. Whew! Took me awhile (I have been busy with other things, too, but I'm still very slow at this ...)

I also tried to alter the highlights so they're not so white, but I'm not sure I succeeded.

Do the lines look natural?
    Any advice/suggestions/constructive criticism is welcome! Thanks!!

Name:	hand2.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	24390  

Drawing faces or any part of the human anatomy is known to be one of the most difficult things. What struck me was fractal nature of your real hand so I experimented for a while adding fractal textures to try and give it some more realism. I've concentrated on the left thumb area mostly (and the base hand object was given a fractal texture as well). I think it works, and shows how fractal textures can enhance the realism of almost any natural object. Oh and I added a drop shadow (always helps add depth) and a bit more shading on the wrist and a few other minor tweaks, about 20 minutes in total. A Fascinating experiment.

Name:	Hand.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	24403  

Wow! The "fractalizing" of the thumb area makes it seems like you can see the veins/blood vessels - very very cool!
    -=Bob=-