Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Compiling XaraLx on MacosX

My point is that if any incompatible changes were made between the date of your downloaded sources and the date of of the CDraw library, then you either want the changes to be in both parts or neither.

I am not sure about your phrase "an error of a bad libCDraw version".

You will need to run (re-run, really) ranlib when the datestamp of the file changes, because ld will then consider the table of contents inside the file to be out of date. This does not represent a problem with the library, it is a disglory of using file transfer or copying mechanisms which re-do metadata.

Ben
    IP

I know absolutely NOTHING of what you guys are talking about but it is fascinating following these threads as you feverishly and happily work hard at this. Keep up the good work!!!!!
    -=Bob=-
    IP

Drifter, i'm happy to know that my poor english's writing and my poor knownledgement of coding is so far interesting
    But when i will succeed i will think of a way of making an easier way on macosX to have XaraLx running.

For the error of libCDraw i did not write it right. I forgot to save it.

Maybe i have succeed, but i will have to compil another time to see if all is well done. I just replaced the old libCDraw.a by the one coming into the package and ran ranlib command. Then i type make to finish the compilation.

I now have a XaraLX Application with a weight of 415 Mo !
    when i launched it i have another error :

dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libwx_macud-2.6.0.dylib
    Referenced from: /Users/Pekele/XaraLX/XaraLX
    Reason: image not found
    Trace/BPT trap
    logout

In fact this lib is in my wx-widget folder. Since i did not installed wx-widget it can't find the lib in /usr/local/

Copy the lib there should be an easier solution but i dunno if it is clever

i'm going to think about it after my tea time
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Pekele
    I now have a XaraLX executable with a weight of 415 Mo !
    when I try to launch it I get this error :

Code:
    dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libwx_macud-2.6.0.dylib
      Referenced from: /Users/Pekele/XaraLX/XaraLX
      Reason: image not found
    Trace/BPT trap
    logout
    In fact this lib is in my wx-widget folder. Since I did not install wx-widget it can't find the lib in /usr/local/
    O.K. Pekele, you have caught up with everyone else. You are now entering Tiger country.

You have two choices:

1. Install wxWidgets (and listen to my explanation as to why this is a good idea)
    2. Create a bundle a double-clickable Application in one step and use otool and friends to fix up the library paths

I can give you directions for either.

Could you tell the Xara folk that your linked executable is over 400 MByte in size - I am not perfectly certain that they believed me!

Ben
    IP

No doubt that installing wx-widget is the easier way.
    So master, on wich way shall i go on ?

The double click application should be a way to make XaraLx as a stand alone application wich could be downloaded by other mac 's users.

but i'm going to chose the 1st way because you said it was a good idea

I will try the other way in few days when i will have more time.
    So any advice for the 1st solution ? Or should i just do a make install as root ?

thank you very much Ben

ps : I'm going to report the Xara's folk about this heavy executable
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Pekele
    No doubt that installing wx-widget is the easier way.
    By default the wxWidgets has the prefix path /usr/local/lib, and this gets embedded into the product which you can confirm with
    Code:
    otool -L /Users/Pekele/wxMac-2.6.3/build-unicode-debug/lib/libwx_macud-2.6.0.dylib
    . This path is then copied into the executable as the place to look for this library. At some point in the future, Xara may decide to link everything statically, in which case this problem will go away, but I think that using dynamically linking is the correct course for the moment (and may be under all circumstances, we shall have to see).

Clearly, if you put the library in that place then everything is sweet. So go to your wxWidgets directory and issue the command
    Code:
    sudo make install
    . Then return to your Xara directory and issue the command
    Code:
    ./XaraLX
    . It will now run. Use
    Code:
    gdb XaraLX
    if you want to use the debugger.

You may get some run time errors.

(Now I am giving these commands from memory, and I haven't checked them today on a Mac, so kindly let us know at once if any errors have crept in, which is quite possible).

Also note that this technique cannot be used to deliver XaraLX as we cannot expect end users to install libraries in a place of our choosing - and I would be circumspect about expecting developers to do so, as well - but in this case, everyone knows that if you want to hack on XaraLX, you need wxWidgets, and the additional effort in putting libraries into /usr/local is not going to be off-putting, I would venture.

Good Luck.
    IP

ok i installed wx-widget. XaraLX is now launching. But the interface is frozen. I can select nothing in the toolbars. I can't move or resize the window

All this work for nothing
    IP

You can probably do 'New' and 'Open' from the top toolbar.

Do you have any menus?

You have a working Xara LX as good as anyone's I think. Certainly as good as mine.
    IP

i don't have any menu
    and the new and open icon don't execute

I compiled the svn version. It took half an hour on my iMAC G5.
    I have the same result as the tarball compilation. It does not work.
    Here the log file :
    http://loupekele.free.fr/vrac/XaraLXlog.txt

Something is going wrong but i don't know exactly what.

I don't think it comes from wx-widget as the demos run well.

any ideas ?
    Last edited by Pekele; 28 March 2006 at 06:55 AM.
    IP

I posted to this forum a few minutes ago, but it hasn't shown up. Some of my other posts have needed to be sent twice in the past:

I think that you are seeing the same as everyone else.

Are you getting no menus at all: No 'XaraLX', no 'Help'?

Are you sure that the 'New' and 'Open' icons do not work?

Ben
    IP