Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: newbie: faded backgrounds

Wow! Thanks for the replies. Reminds me of a Photoshop forum called Ozone that guided me back in the 5.5 days.

So I need to research how to create a shape around the item that is to remain in focus. Is it similar to painting a mask over the protected area?

Use the Pen tool (Shift F5) to create a rough outline, then use the Shape Editor tool (F4) to nudge it accurately to where you want.

Select the line and the main picture. Select Arrange/Combine Shapes/Intersect Shapes. You will be left with the enclosed area. I usually feather it a touch too so the edge is not so artificial.

Dave
    Last edited by toffeeman; 24 March 2006 at 06:39 PM.

Thanks Dave.
    When I use the pen tool and connect the last point the whole object goes black. I can't see the image to make any adjustments with the Shape Editor tool. What did I miss?

Clickon the 'No fill' icon at the bottom left of the screen (between the red square and the colour picker square) and the black will vanish

Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	no fill.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	24296  
    Last edited by toffeeman; 23 March 2006 at 09:47 PM.

Thanks for the fast (and clear) help.
    I was able to acheive the same results. And it's fun to boot.
    Now I've got to get back to work, but I'll return for more :-)

Work??
    Hmmm.. I seem to remember that concept from a while back...!!!

Glad to have helped

Dave

Hi MG,

I wasn't ignoring you, I was at work myself. WORK!!! As Maynard G. Krebs would say. Does anyone other than me remember the Dobie Gillis show?

Dave gave you very good advice. I just post a reply to a similar question in the Xara3D conference. Here's the link if you would like to see how I answered the question http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...831#post152831

When making a shape to intersect a subject from a photo, allow some extra around the subject so you can feather the subject so it blends in with the background image. When make the shape for use in Xara3D, the more accurate you follow the subject the better.
    Last edited by Soquili; 24 March 2006 at 01:10 AM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I used to LOVE the Dobie Gillis show with Maynard G. Krebs, later known as Gilligan.
    -=Bob=-

There is another way to achieve this effect. Shown below. Blur a cloned photo and apply a Circular transparency. (Clone - Ctrl k - places a duplicate directly on top of the selected object).

One of the really great things about Xara Xtreme is even though it is a vector drawing program, it can also do a lot of bitmap editing funtions. And Xtreme has one of the most powerful set of gradient transparency functions found anywhere.

You know how hard this would be in Photoshop where you would have to create an intermediate graident mask and then apply transparency to the mask. In Xtreme, select the Transparency Tool, select Circular from the drop down list of Transparency Shapes, and click and drag.

To change the start and end transparency values, click on the little boxes on either end of the arrow (the fill path) and then adjust the Transparency slider at the top of the screen).

Actually, (before someone else points this out) if you place the non-blurred image over the blurred image, you don't need to switch the values when you apply the Circular transpareny.

Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blurred-owl.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	24311  

Wow, that is very cool...err...fine! I hoped it was easier/better than what I had been doing with the "other" program.

Thank-you very much.
    I like this software.