Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Photoshop and Xara...

How can I make a drawing compatible with Photoshop? I have a service that work only and only with Photoshop, so I need transform my illustration in something that Photoshop recognize.

... ?

Default Re: Photoshop and Xara...

Do you have both programs ? How about using copy and paste?. I don't know if this would work as I only have Xara and paint shop pro and it works with them. So maybe if you can get to paste your Xara picture in Photoshop then save it as PS extension.

Export as an uncompressed tif or jpg file, tif is the better but larger file size.

Christine

On Earth for A Little While / With Christ for Eternity

If your art is done in XaraX you can copy & paste into Xtreme. From there you can export to whatever.

Are you converting Vectors to Rasters? If so Chritines above post should be the way to go. Some variations to consider:

When exporting Tiff's from X1 for PS. I'll generally export two versions. One as a CMYK & the other as RGB. Often I'll export more as needed to pull certain aspects of the image which need channel seps.

The actual dpi ouput depends on the print shop requirements. I seldom ever go beyond 300dpi. Most often exporting at 150dpi, any more than this is overkill (for me). Sometimes you may need to export larger DPI's but mainly if your enlarging.
    ----------- _~o
    ----------- '\<,, "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep
    ><>____(_)/ (_) - in order to gain that which he cannot loose." JE

No, the problem is that I must work with professional people that use only Photoshop or Illustrator (ok ok...in the professional world Xara X/Extreme is not used). So if I make a draw with Xara (web design, illustration, icon and so on) I can give only Tiff or Bitmap and this is not very good. They work with AI or PSD.

Xara in the next update "must" insert a good export AI or support about PSD. Only in this way we can collaborate with prof users...

Bad story...guy!!
    Last edited by spyro70; 24 March 2006 at 02:05 PM.

Hi Spyro,
    I think it has already! You can easily export into AI using both PDF & AI eps as long as you follow a few rules that the drawing has no bitmap effects like dropped shadows, bevels, live effects using plugins and complex transparencies. I work in an office which only allows AI & PDF files to be used and saved and the work that I do at home on Xara is brought into work as one or the other and with a small amount of editing I can get an Xara exported file into a AI CS file very quickly. Just tell your work mates to open your exported Xara file as a "Legacy ver 8" and when they want to edit the file state to them that they may have to release clipping masks to edit the drawing further.

There are a few other problems like colour changes and fills but with a bit of experience you can easily get round these problems. Give it a try and see how much quicker to start and develope a vector drawing in Xara and then finish it in AI.
    Design is thinking made visual.

On Earth for A Little While / With Christ for Eternity

You have to follow these same rules when printing from within CMYK as well. Tapered lines & Outlines need to be Converted to shape (Alt R+L). Contours & text conv2curve etc.

I've sent many trouble free xara graphics to other platform extensions with Xtreme. If the file is set up properly it can be exported to any extension within the export list. Just remember to test the export by opening it in the program that it's going to, before you send it off to a printhouse or Artshop. This way you'll know if the export remained intact or had errors. Then you can adjust your Xara file accordingly.

Good Luck
    Last edited by wW; 24 March 2006 at 08:00 PM.
    ----------- _~o
    ----------- '\<,, "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep
    ><>____(_)/ (_) - in order to gain that which he cannot loose." JE

The place can take a .pdf and then can assign the color space and the dpi upon openning the .pdf. They should know how to do this.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode