Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Printing Seperations in Xtreme?

Quote Originally Posted by jens g.r. benthien
    02. Would you spend US$ 60 or more for a patch that brings back Pantone colors?
    I can't find the original post now, but I remember reading on this forum that someone posted to say that if you copy the contents of C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara X1\Palettes to C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara Xtreme\Palettes, that Pantone is once again available in Xtreme.

I just tried it - I works, at least to look at. Perhaps users who rely on Pantone use more often can confirm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pantone.png 
Views:	223 
Size:	11.5 KB 
ID:	24244  

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Yes, it works, but I remember as well some copyright issues. However, IMHO, if you have created a template with all pantone colors and re-use it in xtreme: who will blame you?

And if you have x1 - which most of the users do - you have already paid for the pantone color system, so it shouldn't be a problem to continue using the pantone palette(s).

I didn't even notice the pantone colors are missing, because I've copied all templates to the new template folder - first task!

I don't know if Corel uses pantone colors, but if so, you can even copy the *.pal file to the xara directory.

I'm not sure if the licence explicitely excludes/prohibits this process...
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Id really like to see a demographics breakdown of the "Xara" user and how they are using it. If indeed so few people actually used the Pantone palette and made seperations, then is a web design tool? If so, then is Xtreme really a "graphics" program? I can't imagine Illustrator or CorelDraw without those features. But yet they are the competition.

It was mentioned that no one would pay extra for those features. But yet I'll bet that most X1 users "upgraded" to Xtreme. X1 sold for $149, or at least when I bought it. And I thought that was a reasonable price (not that I don't like $79 better).

So is it really a cost, or a target marketing issue?

I suggest creating a VERY slimmed down version of Xtreme like utility program (sold seperately) that would work as a plug in, or on its own and allow you to open Xtreme files, and print seperations that way.

I continue to make the argument, that to be a contender, a graphics program must have these features.

On Earth for A Little While / With Christ for Eternity

GraphicsFactory, the slimmed down version is called XaraWebster. Not sure if XaraLtd is still developing it though. Why would they need to now?

Jens-I'd pay 10.00 in a heartbeat for CMYK! Heck I'd pay alot more if Xtreme gave us the option. CMYK is a must, - I can live without spots.

If I have a large graphic that needs sep'n (say 8 colors) I'll put 4 colors each on 2 layers, substituting on screen colors for CMYK. Each plate is printed black & as long as you have a color label (spot name) for the each plate, everything works fine on the presses. Once thing that Xara could use are some "STOCASTIC DOT" print option, as a gradient transitions, all the X1 dot options are band when approaching the 25-0% range. TOO MUCH BANDING! Have you noticed this GraphicsFactory?

Jens - What printer are you using. We have an Epson Sylus Pro 7200 & it's slow, plus the software is a ripoff. What are you using for your large format printing? You mentioned it the other day but I don't think you listed what it was.
    Last edited by wW; 22 March 2006 at 04:53 PM.
    ----------- _~o
    ----------- '\<,, "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep
    ><>____(_)/ (_) - in order to gain that which he cannot loose." JE

wW,

We are using a modified HP inkjet and a Calcom (no longer available). If we need a surface coating like uv protection or glossy finish we send the files (hi res *.tif or *.eps) to a shop in the next city. They can print up to 3 x 4 meters - seamless at high resolution. They always keep telling me that they print @ 100 dpi, but you can squeeze your nose to the print without seeing one single dot. It's an amazing quality, and the process is their best kept secret.

Heck I'd pay alot more if Xtreme gave us the option. CMYK is a must, - I can live without spots.
    I'd even churn out 100 US$ for a CMYK option or plug-in
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Yea Jens, those that used CMYK print options took a hit with the new release. Shouldn't be too long a wait for the fix. (relative to other xara releases). For now, X1 is working fine.

I couldn't in good concience let my boss order any more versions of Xtreme without CMYK. I did however purchase a personal copy (as yet -unused-) to support Xara. The least I could do as I'm sure many others have done. Got a manual out of it. Glad they made one for the program. More a collectors item as I have a couple original manuals from CorelXara as well. I'll dig it up & post it on e-bay if anyones interested. First let me check to make sure they have'nt disappeared on me.
    Last edited by wW; 22 March 2006 at 06:33 PM.
    ----------- _~o

Now that I think about it (very dangerous=me thinking). There are some holes that need to be addressed with the XaraCMYK print dialog. I hope the've taken note of some of things we've listed on past list regarding fixes for CMYK print dialog.

The CMYK in X1 works, but it could work much better with a few changes, additions & or improvements. Basically it needs some tweeking & re-work.
    Last edited by wW; 22 March 2006 at 09:45 PM.
    ----------- _~o

I agree - like in Freehand MX!
    --------------------//--
    --------------------//--

As mentioned before, but just because we removed CMYK print separations from Xara Xtreme does not mean it's missing forever for all versions.

(We removed it partly because it's not an appropriate feature for a more mass-market, easier-to-use, lower cost product that Xara Xtreme is. Few professionals understand the complexities of colour separations, let alone the mass majority of normal users. It was one of our most costly features in terms of customer support, because of the complexity of concepts.)

In the meantime Xara X1 can accept most Xara X files and will separate them. Also Xara Xtreme can create separated CMYK files (practically the same thing as producing separated print files) by exporting as TIFF with the CMYK option selected.

I think the Xara product positioning is becoming a real mystery.

Facilities used by high-end users are removed and still the product is described as an upgrade.

You explain that users can still have separations by using X1 a product no longer available through Xara, so separation is only available for existing customers, not new ones.

Finally, the ultimate confusion by saying that in the future, the removed facility may come back.

It doesn't look like a coherent marketing position to me.

If you want to chase a less sophisticated market and give up some high end users, so be it, but it seems to me that Xara gets it's support mainly from more sophisticated users who have the patience and the will to know how good it is and to use it properly. I don't see it or it's marketing as that of a low-end program which seems to be where you want to take it. I would suspect that for the existing userbase, price isn't such an issue. What is probably more of an issue is not extending the product except by way of trying to chase a market share (where there are already many competitors) using bitmaps.

The inclusion of bitmap support seems to have happened at the expense of anything else. I wish the focus had remained in keeping the software as a vector based product - the best that could be bought, rather than try and make it a swiss-army knife.

Personally, the most interesting thing for me has been PDF support - which has been frustrating - it goes so far, yet stumbles because it doesn't support multiple pages and is hampered by it's interpretation of layers.

OK, I've already said enough. Perhaps I don't understand the market for Xara well enough.

Paul