Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Printing Seperations in Xtreme?

Does anyone know why this was dropped in Xtreme? This is a necessity for pro users.

I love the program...but this was NOT a good idea.

Default Re: Printing Seperations in Xtreme?

This link may answer your question. http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...ht=separations

Post #5 is from Charles Moir, the CEO of Xara Ltd.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Unfortunately, it does answer my question. I'm a Screenprinting Graphic Artist. I started a long time ago with CorelDraw 3 (long, long time ago) and eventually became a Freehand user. Within the last year or so, I discovered Xara X1 and then upgraded to Xtreme. I find that I really LOVE using Xtreme...but without the ability to print seperations to burn screens...dissappointing. I really thought I found MY perfect program. I'll just keep wishing.

Thanks!

On Earth for A Little While / With Christ for Eternity

Hey GF, You need to find the last version of Xara called XaraX1. It has spots & CMYK printing. Nice to know there are others here at TG working in the textile print industry. Thanks for stopping in & posting.

For now you'll have to use layers to do your Xtreme seps. With X1 I've been able to use CMYK seps about 50% of the time, substiting print colors with CMYK. Other jobs are better done using the layer technique for print (1 color black, the rest white). Less than 10% of Xara created work (that I do) has to be channel seperated in PhotoShop. This percentage of using outside programs is going down, as I tend to design with Xara Sep in mind.

If you can't get hold of X1 then you'll have to wait for the Xtreme Pro version to be released. Don't know the timeline for this but my guess is that it'll be sometime next year (2007). Perhaps someone from Xara Group Ltd will step in give us a time frame.
    ----------- _~o
    ----------- '\<,, "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep
    ><>____(_)/ (_) - in order to gain that which he cannot loose." JE

Ok, I need some clarity!

I've thought of Xara Xtreme as the upgrade to Xara X1. I realize that Xara dropped some features and added some features from Xara X1. As this thread shows, the CMYK feature set of X1.

I followed Soquili's link to a thread discussing the imagesetting options of X1 and how Xtreme would be missing them.

After reading Charles response I'm more confused about X1 and Xtreme.

So, I have a few questions:

Is Xtreme the upgrade of X1? (I have both X1 and Xtreme and I thought it was.)

Charles mentions in the post from Soquili's link that "This does not rule out us bringing the feature back in future versions of Xara X." Does this mean that X1 is still a Xara product in development and not a previous version of Xtreme?

Then, based on my confusion, is there a chart of features of X1 and Xtreme with a simple check box by the features that each has? Much like this example of Corel's?

I would really like to see something like this. If there is one, just let me know where.

Thanks,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CorelMatrix.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	24216  

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?

On Earth for A Little While / With Christ for Eternity

XaraX1 is the previous version of XaraXteme. They changed the name because the code was completely re-written. Basically, Xtreme it's a new program that does what X1 did (almost - yet more). Xara Ltd re-wrote(streamlined) the code on one of the CorelXara upgrades years ago. If X1 is the grandson of CorelXara. XaraWebster would be the cousin that not many had heard of.

Xtreme is written in or with OpenSource code, X1 used C+ (me thinks).
    ----------- _~o
    ----------- '\<,, "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep
    ><>____(_)/ (_) - in order to gain that which he cannot loose." JE

RedWombat, I wanted to clarify further. The order of products is:

CorelXARA
    Xara X
    Xara X1
    Xara Xtreme.

Collectively you may hear of these as the "Xara X family". When someone talks about future versions of Xara X, they mean post–Xara Xtreme.

Therefore Xtreme was an upgrade of X1, even if some features did go away. We've moved it to a much more general purpose everyday app, and dropped the price. To do this we had to make some removals such as Pantone support (which cost us for each copy we sold).
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by AntonyF
    We've moved it to a much more general purpose everyday app, and dropped the price. To do this we had to make some removals such as Pantone support (which cost us for each copy we sold).
    I think a lot of people would have appreciated the chance to pay a bit more for that support as an option. As things are now, you've cut away the feet from some of your userbase - probably the most important part of the userbase to boot.

Thanks for the post. It helps a bit to understand. When I found some features removed I began to wonder if it was the upgrade, especially since the name changed.

Is there a chart like the one I posted before that shows the main feature sets of each so I can compare?

Thanks,

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

I think a lot of people would have appreciated the chance to pay a bit more for that support as an option.
    Yes, definitely, at least for the print options! Anyone can purchase Pantone products if he should need them.

But you can't change 'mainstream' - more features the crowd not **really** needs, but less features for the serious user. I mean we all could use PS plug-ins with X1, but with the kinky plug icon in the tool box of xtreme only half of them are functioning now.

Too bad how things develop.

Maybe we should start a poll:

01. Would you spend US$ 10 for a patch that re-enables the print options of x1?
    02. Would you spend US$ 60 or more for a patch that brings back Pantone colors?

But as I said: IMHO only 2% would be willing to pay the extra US$ 10, 98% of the users didn't even realize the print options are gone.

Mainstream. Political correctness. Soft society. Maybe the developers of my favorite CAD software will remove the third dimension (the Z axis) in the next release to be able to offer the software somewhat cheaper?

just my two cents for a few eyes and ears
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--