Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Xara Xtreme LX Source Code now available!

The source code to Xara Xtreme LX is now available for anyone to download and build!
    http://www.xaraxtreme.org/
    http://www.xaraxtreme.org/developers/sourcecode.html

Xtreme LX contains the source code for most of your favourite drawing program, Xara Xtreme, but instead of talking directly to Windows it now talks to a module called wxWidgets. In essence, this change allows LX to run on different operating systems such as Linux and Mac OS X but making this change has taken a lot of work and there is still a lot more to be done.

At the moment LX can't do all the things that Xtreme does so the focus for now is on catching up with Xtreme.

Eventually, if there's a feature you've always wanted to see in Xtreme or an issue that has niggled you over the years you will be able to do something about it directly! If you can program in C++ you can have a go yourself and if not, talk to the Open Source developers about your idea.

Of course, Xara are still developing Xtreme and we're always listening out for good ideas ourselves.

Remember to read the "license and contributing" page if you intend to submit changes to the project.
    http://www.xaraxtreme.org/developers/contributing.html

Phil Martin

Default Re: Xara Xtreme LX Source Code now available!

That's Xtremelygood news !!!

kindly,
    ivan

That's great news.

I just had a quick look and I am glad to see 'cmxistut.cpp', line 1295 hasn't lost any of its original 'charm'.

By the way, what is Xara's stance of Windows ports of this source code? As far as I can tell, the license doesn't prohibit this (although not having a cdraw.lib for Windows might be an issue) but I am guessing this isn't something Xara would want. It is a shame really because I wouldn't mind doing some Open Source Xara development again but I don't what to set up a Linux or Mac box.

Jon

Awesome, because I just placed an order for a Macbook Pro!

Although... I only see download links for a Linux version?
    Art should tell a story. Don't paint a moment, paint a lifetime.

Jon,

I'd never seen the Parsnip comment before even though I've worked on this code for years and years. I thought it was very funny. Ben would be proud.

The issue of a Windows port of LX is thorny for us but the code is released under GPL so I believe it's possible.

Phil

Eobet,

We have built Mac versions of LX and they look very promising but they are not as functional as the Linux version at the moment. The main reason for that is simply that we concentrated on the Linux version first.

Once we get the Mac version up to scratch and we can automatically build it every day, you'll find a download link for it on the site.

Phil

Congrats team. Glad to see this happening finally!! Linux WILL have a terrificly fast and stable vector app finally!!

All the best
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---