Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

In one XAR I am working on, any image files imported appear as red dotted outlines only. It's only happening in this XAR file so I assume I have inadvertently changed some setting.

A bitmap that was on the page from earlier sessions is still visible, however.

All layers are checked in all boxes.

What have I done? How do I get back to seeing everything.

TIA
    - Bill H.

In one XAR I am working on, any image files imported appear as red dotted outlines only. It's only happening in this XAR file so I assume I have inadvertently changed some setting.

A bitmap that was on the page from earlier sessions is still visible, however.

All layers are checked in all boxes.

What have I done? How do I get back to seeing everything.

TIA
    - Bill H.

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Bill,

you've set the guides layer the active one. Just delete your image with the red dotted outline, click another layer to turn it 'current' (it will have a grey background then), and re-import your image.
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Wait! Don't delete the image.

Just select the image that is on the Guides Layer and Cut it to the clipboard (Ctrl X). Then select Layer 1 or any layer other than the Guides layer and Paste using Shift Ctrl V to paste in the same place.

Jens is 100% correct when he says objects placed on the Guides layer, appear as guides (they are now) with a red dashed outline. You can place objects on the Guides layer and then use them as guides with Snap to Guides enabled.

But when you don't know you can do this and your objects appear as invisible or red dashed outlines only, it can really destroy your day :-)

Gary

Thanks guys. I wasn't even in the Layer Gallery that I can recall. Maybe mis-hit a keyboard shortcut or something similar.

All fixed now and stored in memory as Gotcha#998765!

- Bill H.

You can also copy/drop items into a hidden layer or a write protected layer. When you drop it into a hidden or write protected layer a message pops up asking for permission to do the same.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1upload.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	12.7 KB 
ID:	5786