Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

What's Going On!!

It seems that Xara Picture Editor has taken over my computer and converted my existing JPG files to it's own format!

What is really worrying me is that it appears to be impossible to remove this program using Control Panel.

I DO NOT LIKE THIS!. Has my system been nuked?

If the makers are listening, what the blazes are you up to?

Red face Re: What's Going On!!

Sorry, it's me! I panicked when the prog had taken over my JPEG files. I just didn't scroll down the Remove Prog screen far enough!

I would like to know, however, how I can install this software without including the Picture Editor.

If anybody is still talking to me, perhaps they could help!

Default Re: What's Going On!!

You must have allowed XPE to become the default program to open files of this sort on installation of Xara, or possibly failed to stop it being so (I can't remember which it is).
    If you go to you photo folder and right click on a photo and go to 'open with' or browse for the program to open with you can choose to make that the default program to open files of this type (jpeg, tiff etc.)
    Derek
    Last edited by masque; 11 March 2006 at 08:34 PM.

Default Re: What's Going On!!

The installer doesn't change the default file associations unless you ask it to, though I don't think that page of the installer is particularly clear.

XPE is useful to have installed, though I agree not as the default - it's too slow to load and eats memory. Better to stick to the standard setup, keep Windows Picture Viewer as the default, and if you want a picture in XPE, right click either its file or the image in the Windows Viewer, then select XPE from the menu.