Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: SVG support?

Default SVG support?

When will we see SVG support included in Xara? Now that Firefox has a healthy SVG implimentation, it would be great to export some items as SVG directly.
    IP

Default Re: SVG support?

Thanks to Eric Wilhelm's uber-converter project we hope to have basic SVG import / export integrated into Xara LX before too long.
    http://scratchcomputing.com/projects/uber-converter/
    IP

I couldn't agree more. I know Xara has a superior vector format to SVG but that is no longer a reason not to support what is now an accepted standard. Usage of Firefox is growing all the time, Opera also has native SVG support. It is only a matter of time before MS thinks that's another good idea from the Mozilla guys, let's have it in IE. At the moment, I am having to import my lovely Xara pics into the dreadful Illustrator to get them into SVG format. Don't worry, I'm not being tempted to use Illustrator for anything creative, but others may weaken!
    Seriously, this is probably the only major weakness of Xara Extreme.

Tom
    IP

Hi group,

A way to export to jpg, gif and png would be nice as well.

bg
    Trond
    IP

A way to export to jpg, gif and png would be nice as well.
    That will come a lot sooner and I hope to see that within a few weeks. Once we have native saving, a working colour editor and bitmap export that will be a major milestone for us becuase at that point the product becomes useful on Linux.
    IP

There are three, possibly four, requests in this thread. If any of these are missing from Xara LX and are wanted then you could file a Request For Enhancement in the Bugzilla for the one or ones which would most suit you..
    1. Xara LX should be able to export to SVG as in 'Export for Web'
    2. A converter, interchange format and instructions should be provided to freely change XAR files to equivalent SVG ones
    3. It should be possible to 'flip a setting' and have Xara work natively in SVG, or some other available format
    4. Export part or all of an illustration as rendered file in a pixel format

Exporting to SVG may be the most convenient for you, but if it is, you will either have to justify treating the SVG format specially or have an Export menu and system for handing exporting preferences that can also handle other people's choices such as PDF, EPS, Ilustrator 88 and perhaps others.

Whilst a separate or standalone converter handles that problem, it may be less convenient in use, and may lose information without giving proper warning.

I would guess that exporting a render will be provided, but this is partly a matter of configuring colour space settings, resolution and so forth, and whilst making a simple picture for the web, or making an icon of a given size is probably going to be easy to support, you might prefer to have a separate or even a third party program (such as TeX. Povray, or the Gimp) do rendering and Xara save as a printer friendly format such as PDF (or to come round full circle, SVG).

Ben
    IP

SVG is a good format. But in prepress, all professionals in europe use pdf. This format is, according to me, more important than svg for professionnal uses. I worked a lot with inkscape on debian and nobody ask me some svg. I sent my drawing in bitmap wich is very sad when you work in vector.

Now, on macosX i use the pdf format for all my works.
    IP

We have top quality PDF export in xara Xtreme already, but this is a closed-source component (we license it from a third party) and so this can't be part of the open-source version. (there are a number of ways we're looking to add PDF to be added to the open-source version, probably using Cairo).

However if no good open source PDF export appears quickly we'll just make the PDF export part of a premium paid-for version, as it is on Windows.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Moir
    However if no good open source PDF export appears quickly we'll just make the PDF export part of a premium paid-for version, as it is on Windows.
    Surely your team of Linux programmers know about KPDF, Ghostscript, Scribus, and more that handle PDF under FOSS?

Thanks for doing what you are doing... I can't wait to have the full features of XARA Windows version in Linux.

Frank
    IP