Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Xtreme Disappointment

I am not talking about speed or how good your graphics card is I am talking about the drivers of these cards and how the interface with programmes. Two years ago I upgraded my graphics card so any all sining and dancing Nvidia and found that it caused GoLive CS to crawl. If you dropped a picture into a frame it would take two minutes load and if you scrolled down the page the same thing happened. I phoned Adobe about the problem and they said it was a known problem but they had no solution for it. As at that time most of my income came from web work I had to refit the old graphics card to regain the speed. All that i am saying is that this could be the problem as there have been only a few people stating that Extreme crawls.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Two things I've found that affected the speed of my system (an AMD64 3200 with 1gb RAM, Win XP SP2):

- The rig came with an nVidia 128mb card. When I switched to a Matrox P650 with 64mb, the machine's apparent speed improved substantially. For example, it was taking a third less to half the time to load an app. The best guess anyone's given me as to why is that perhaps the Matrox drivers are better. I think it may have something to do with the amount of RAM on the card, because on a second machine, switching from an nVidia 128mb to a Matrox 128mb also increased the apparent speed, but the difference wasn't nearly as dramatic. (First machine, AGP; second machine, PCIe.)

- When I let Diskeeper reconfigure the Master File Tables on my partitions, applications I had previous thought were slow, including Xtreme, suddenly started performing like speed demons. Even the Live Effects I've tested are practically banging into place now.

Allison

On Earth for A Little While / With Christ for Eternity

Arrow Re: Xtreme Disappointment

[QUOTE=BONES]You mean a professional print artist, right? I get paid to fly all over the world as a "professional graphic artist" and I have virtually no use at all for anything print related.

That's a good question Bones, not sure if I can answer it. I'm a professional graphic artist working in a t-shirt design industry. Printing is mandatory if the work is to make it to a t-shirt. Every color in a design has to be printed as a plate so it can be burned onto a silk screen.
    The ability to prepare vector/bitmap art for separations is considered more an art form than a science, especially when using Photoshop for Channel Seps. I've done well using X1 for 90% of my Sep work. As long as it's vector, it can be Sep'd & printed from Xara. CMYK helps but is only one of the techniques that can be used. Since most of the customer art - local work, is limited color. CMYK works best for these jobs - which is 75% of the my overall responsibilities here.

I know of several people in this industry that continue to earn a big bucks working on the side as a Separation house. Separating art for companies that are overwhelmed with complicated designs, which take too much time or skill to prepare properly by many "in house" artist. I suppose this type of artist would be considered a print artist.

Commercial Contract Print work is more about "Who has the design chops" to get a design accepted, which has more to do with ones timing than overall skill. Contract work is the undercurrent that drives the t-shirt industry. Believe me when I tell you, there's much competition in this area & it's tuff. The best work I've ever done goes to companies like this. Most the time I get no feedback whatsoever. I've sent hundreds of designs but less than a hand full have ever made it to print. Some of these un-chosen designs I consider as amongst my best work ever. Disappointing yes, but rewarding at the same time. Better to have tried & missed then not to have tried at all eh.....

Companies that require "nation wide t-shirt distribution & printing" tend to have free art work supplied to them by "in house" T-shirt artist (like me) in the hopes that the company we represent will win the print contract for that design. This is the work that can make or break large & small t-shirt shops the world over. Land some of these contracts & you've got job security. Win a high profile contract & you'd be set for life. At least until the job is over...

I guess to answer your question. I'm a little of both. Graphic Artist & Print artist, You be the judge? In the end it depends on which hat I'm wearing at any particular time (or job)?

Fragments of the textiled mind...
    Last edited by wW; 15 March 2006 at 10:51 PM.
    ----------- _~o
    ----------- '\<,, "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep
    ><>____(_)/ (_) - in order to gain that which he cannot loose." JE

I don't get complements on my writing - ever, so Thanks eobet.

I believe X1 can not be purchased any more. Xara Ltd should at least consider it, until an Xtreme upgrade is made available. (see latest gossip below)

Since this thread has to do with Gossip, here goes...

I hear Xara Ltd. will be releasing a Professional Version of Xtreme in the future that will have CMYK & spots. I'm hoping that when they do, we will see some "SERIOUS TOOL UPGRADES" to go with the "PROfessional title". Seems It took so much time & effort to convert everything from X1 to Xtreme (code wise), there wasn't much left for upgrading the current tool sets. Hence the 1st (glimpsed) advantages of OpenSource relative to Xtreme.

To be honest. I'd be Xtremely disappointed if all we see are CMYK & Spots with a Pro sticker on the box. The prospect of a Pro-Xtreme version is appealing and practical, just don't forget the tools this time OK?

Could this be the first of many steps towards modulizing Xtreme. Ex- X-pro, X-cadd, X-3d, X-font etc...

Seems by modulizing Xtreme, they'd have to release 2 versions at or around the same time. A Pro & regular Xtreme2. But only if they upgraded the tool set. Otherwise adding CMYK & Spots wouldn't seem be enough to call the program a Professional Version.

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong (which I often am). At this time, X1 is professional enough!. Gonna take some convincing to make this Xtremely dedicated but alienated X-user switch to an X-pro ver. (actually, I'll buy it regardless, but don't tell Xara Ltd. as I'm trying to keep them honest)

Makes my mouth water with anticipation. Actually makes me hopeful for Xtreme's prospects again!

Fragments....
    ----------- _~o

Hi again
    I didnt write here frecuently, but now can't hold on....

Im too graphic designer and prepres maker..
    I work in print house, like senior designer/prepress
    I don't want from Xara to make a litlle miracle from Xara & CMYK
    I just want one normal CMYK bitmap import filter
    I preffer to do tings where they must be done...
    Rasters - in flagman of bitmap editing - photoshop, vectors here in Xara....
    I think that modern design is much more than one CMYK picture and some text over it.... Xara give me freedom to work with all tools given, especialy transperency in vector shapes... in 99% my works are mix from CMYK bitmap and design created over it from transparency vectors...
    If I can do all my design just in Xara over and with some correct imported CMYK bitmap (edited and prepared in photoshop avcource) ill be so much happy....and this will save my time...
    But for now I must import some RGBcopy of real bitmap, do all things that I do in my design with vectors, next export all transparency vectors like PNG (for example), then put together CMYK bitmap and PNG in photoshop.... and finally flaten as TIFF (for example)
    Vectors from Xara (like shapes, texts etc) get out like CMX (if I finallize design in Corel) or like EPS (If finallize in Illustrator) and not untill then I can separate to plate jet... All this jumping from soft to soft is just because Xara cant import one simple CMYK bitmap :\ mind you - just one simple CMYK bitmap, we didnt talk about EPS importing or something litlle bit difficult like photoshop DCS2 with CMYK+Pantones included for example....
    Xara Ltd. why you give me this difficulties :\
    The tings can be so simple....
    O.K. For usage of pantone libraries (not included anymore), i can understand, this is question of money... for me is no problem, if I need from Spot I can create it without problem...
    For me like mad Xara fan (from far away 1994) is big pain to own up, that Corel X3 is a big step in prepress/separation creation with all new really printable features like multiply overprinted dropshadows over pantone, bitmap overprint, bitmap creation with overprint black function included, gradient from CMYK to Pantone, real time oveprint preview, etc etc etc..... When they posses you and oppress you like CorelXara, they get from you your trancparency, virtual drag fill tools, antialaising and etc etc...... why now you Xara didnt copy from Corel this press/prepress meat-dishes?

P.S. Sorry for my english.....
    P.S.2. Please return separated CMYK printing in print options, this was very usefull, if you want to add composite CMYK printing you can just add one chekbox
    P.S.3. Please return and separated preview on CMYK/Spot chanells

in conclusion... Xara, Kate and band ... my opinion and wish to you is that the good enought software must give freedom and as much power can be given to as much more profesionals. Future is on profesionals, cross out the functions used and developed from 50 years (like CMYK) automaticaly cross out Xara from look of proffesionals. My opinion is that the future of Xara is there in proffesionals, playing over entusiasts with bevels and etc is just one prolong agony of dead

P.S.4. Again sorry for my english, I hope somebody understand me

Best wishes

minimiro/Bulgaria
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picadili kalendar 2006.jpg 
Views:	368 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	24122   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	torbi4ka-preview.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	158.8 KB 
ID:	24124  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wines-kapa4ki.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	186.5 KB 
ID:	24125  
    Last edited by minimiro; 10 February 2009 at 10:43 PM.
    [A]bort? [R]etry? or [S]elf distruct

minimiro.com

Minimiro, Check these out. They may help you with your RGB to CMYK bitmaps in Xara.

http://www.xaraxone.com/html/templates.html

http://www.smokingun.co.uk/sg/freestuff.htm
    ----------- _~o

Did you see that this CMYK template is my?
    I didnt talk about exporting CMYK bitmaps FROM Xara ... Im talking about importing and working with CMYK bitmaps IN Xara

Best Regards
    minimiro
    [A]bort? [R]etry? or [S]elf distruct

minimiro.com

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore
    I am not talking about speed or how good your graphics card is I am talking about the drivers of these cards and how the interface with programmes. Two years ago I upgraded my graphics card so any all sining and dancing Nvidia and found that it caused GoLive CS to crawl.
    Yes, you probably installed a GeForce card, right? They are for gamers with good 3D performance and zero 2D performance. That's why you should go for a workstation card, i.e. Quadro4 or QuadroFX.
    Quote Originally Posted by amoore
    - The rig came with an nVidia 128mb card. When I switched to a Matrox P650 with 64mb, the machine's apparent speed improved substantially. For example, it was taking a third less to half the time to load an app. The best guess anyone's given me as to why is that perhaps the Matrox drivers are better.
    Matrox also put a lot of effort into 2D performance, generally at the expense of their 3D performance. Quadro does both really, really well.

Quote Originally Posted by BONES
    Matrox also put a lot of effort into 2D performance, generally at the expense of their 3D performance. Quadro does both really, really well.
    Next time we need a card, I'll check out the Quadro. We use Matrox because their text rendering is so good, and for us that's critical. We also like their reliability and their tech support.