Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Multi-page printouts

Has anyone seen any development towards being able to print (say) an A2 document automatically as 4 A4 pages? ISTR it was mentiioned some months back as one of a plethora of desirable features for the "new Xara".
    Anton

Default Re: Multi-page printouts

Hi AntonM,
    Whats wrong with using layers? it is the standard way to do it. Even in Illustrator "HotDoor's" multipage plugin which supposedly gives AI the ability to produce multi page docs this method uses layers and the only difference is when a PDF is called for as an output then it exports each layer as a page. As a work tool I could not justify the price of the plugin just for the ability to export each separate layer as a page it is so easy once you have your page template set up with guides wither you are using A2 or as most print companies in the UK use is SRA which is 450 x 320 (A3+).
    Design is thinking made visual.

Hi Albacore

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore
    Whats wrong with using layers?
    How do you do it with layers?

I have an A2 map, and obviously I could simply push it about manually so that the A4 page "window" exposes one section after another, and print each by hand, but if there's another way of doing it, I'd love to know how!
    Anton

Hi AntoM,
    Sorry I misread your question but here is one way to do it. From your question you would like to go from A2 down to A4 as a "tiled" doc with the printer doing this automatically unfortunately there is no way to do this although a previous incaenation of Xara called Art Works did have this. Easiest way to do this is to draw a rectangle the exact size of A4 page on your A2 page put it to the back and apply "clipview" which would divide up your map. You could also use the Arrange menu as well to divide up your map, "Combine Shapes", "Slice Shapes"

This is what I thought you meant;
    Here is an A3 page sized doc, to be made up into a folded A4 to give an A5 page. printed on both sides with no bleed off.
    As you can see from LH side I have both layers turned on so that you can see all. The other drawing shows the front of the folded doc only with one layer swithched off. This is the standard way to assemble multi page booklets so that you have the fewest passes through your laser to save on expense.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front_back.gif 
Views:	209 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	23747  
    Design is thinking made visual.

Another thing is if you have acrobat professional or any other pdf editor. You just print a pdf file of each layer and then collect them into a multi-page book in the pdf editor