Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Image Size Differences

Hello,

I have been using Xara for a few years and I just noticed something. When I import an image into Xara Extreme it is always bigger than the original artwork.

Is there something that I am doing wrong?

John

Default Re: Image Size Differences

Hi John
    What program are you importing your images from?
    Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I am importing different file formats. They are anything from JPG, GIF and PNG.

If I import it into Xara it is always larger than the original image size.

Hi John,

It may be that the images you are importing were created at 72 ppi (old MacIntosh screen resolution). When viewed at the 96 ppi of a Windows machine, they look larger. Adobe programs still default to 72 ppi, even though MacIntosh's use a higher ppi now.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

That makes perfect sense. Thank you for your time.

John

Another factor is some times, Xara displays an image at the size it was created rather than at 1:1. This is frequently the case with images taken with a digital camera. These images may be 180dpi or higher and often times, Xara will display them at 96dpi making the image larger than the screen. With the bitmap selected, look in the status bar in the lower left portion of the screen. It will list the image name and the resolution. 96dpi is Windows screen resolution and represents 1:1.

I have always felt it would be useful to have an option to display a bitmap as Photoshop does, in actual pixels. Or to have a way other than sitting down with a calculator and doing the math, to change the resolution of an image on the fly. My current method is to scale the photo while watching the status bar until I get the resolution I want. But this is inelegant to say the least.

Gary

Gary, my exact sentiments.

Only last night I had to edit a file I had created months ago that included transparent PNGs I had exported from another program. I didn't document the export options I had used in the other program, so I when I re-exported them last night things were out of whack. When I re-imported the PNGs into Xtreme they were the wrong "size" at 96 dpi. I had to do what you described above; however, I have always had a hard time trying to re-scale to a specific dpi when dragging selection handles.

It would be terrific if you could select the image, right-click and be given a option to "scale to a dpi" with an entry box for you to type in the new dpi ... OR have an entry box for dpi in the Info Bar when a bitmap is selected similar to what Xtreme has now for bitmap fills.
    Last edited by jclements; 18 February 2006 at 08:06 PM.