Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Corel pallettes into Xara

I tried to import the Corel color pallettes (Version 12) into Xara Xtreme. The program said the file (.pal) was incompatible. The Xara help file says .pal is compatible. Any way to get the pallettes into Xara?

Dan

Default Re: Corel pallettes into Xara

I tried do the samething years back with earlier versions of Xara and had the same luck. Sorry, I can't offer any advice.

I had Pantone palettes in Xara X1 but there are none in Xtreme; at least none that I can find. I removed X1 and the X1 CD put the palettes in a CAB file, requiring me to re-install X1 to get the files. If the .pal/.cpl files are in the Xtreme disk, I cannot find them. If they aren't there it is a surprising oversight.

Only CPLs to version 7, as I remember.

MS PALs don't load, but you can resave them from XPal to a JASC PAL style.

Rich

Rich's suggestion sounds the best way forward. Download Brian Etherington's excellent XPal from HERE
    Import the pal file, then export as an eps for import into Xara.
    Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I index my images in PSCS to make limited pallets. Saving to a MS PAL allows me to load the file into XPal. For a limited PAL, you would save to a Xara format. Just means there are less that 256 sets. Jasc Pals always have 256 sets. The Jasc PAL can have empty sets. The PALs are text files and editable in Note Pad, etc.

I remember looking at the PS application PALs, and they were not readable. But, I do remember saving them as a new file, and I think those were readable. Something to try. PSP is similar.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Citywolf
    I had Pantone palettes in Xara X1 but there are none in Xtreme...
    That's correct. The Pantone palettes were removed from Xtreme. As I understand it, since people didn't talk about them much, Xara & Co didn't think anyone was using them. I believe the question of Pantone licensing costs was also a factor.

Although I did use the Pantone palettes in previous versions of Xara, I always had a problem matching output from multiple applications because those that did have Pantone didn't have the same palettes that Xara had.

As for importing pal files, over the years I've successfuly imported on occasion, but rarely. I suspect that having the same file extension doesn't guarantee having the same file structure. Just now, I tried importing a variety of pal and cpl files. Only one worked, and that one is a Pantone palette in pal format supplied with my previous model Lexmark color laser.

I know this might not be the answer to everything, but do a screen shot of the Corel palette and paste it in Xtreme, then you can sample the colors. Hopefully this will give you the colors you are after.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode

Sally,

You can load an image into XPal, and save to EPS or PAL. Those will load into Xtreme.

Rich