Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Some weeks ago, I complained about XaraX still using the ugly and archaic Windows Help system, instead of HTM. But I got shouted down by both Xara and a few users. Today, I get my Photoshop 6 upgrade (a truly great upgrade, go and get it!), and discover to my delight that at least Adobe agrees with me - witness the lovely Help page attached below. Unlike XaraX's wordy, graphics-depleted Help, they have plenty of highly instructive screenshots. And they have a fine search system, too!

But then, what does Adobe know when it comes to software?

K

[This message was edited by Klaus Nordby on December 09, 2000 at 11:04 AM.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PS6_Help.gif 
Views:	465 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	8334  
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

A. I'm an artist and designer. How things LOOK is IMPORTANT to me. WinHelp LOOKS crummy, whereas HTM-help can be made to LOOK good - and hence more pleasureable to use. Who cares about a measly 8Mb of RAM these days???

B. I never said Adobe had done anything original or brilliant. I just pointed out that, thankfully, they have now abandoned WinHelp - and that their choice is a GOOD one for people who like to have nice things to look at. I can even change all the font specs and colors of their Help, just by editing the master CSS file!

C. But since there's no use in arguing with semi-blind people over the proper presentation of visual-verbal information, I'll now withdraw from this debate.

K
    K
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)

I just want to state my view that the use of HTML help as used by Photoshop and Macromedia is a backward step. Xara please don't change!
    Tony
    Tony

Their help system is NOT earth shattering nore is it original. I'm not impressed. Its just HTML!

XaraX will have context sensitive on-line *Multimedia* help (when the CD arrives) and THAT is not only original but much more impressive also. It's easier to learn, easier to use, and no need to follow ENDLESS links with the HTML help.

Just site back and watch XARAX "show" you how to use it's features. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] It just does not get any better then that IMHO! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

The BEST is good enough!
    The BEST is good enough!

Hello

I just did an experiment.
    I have XaraX open and used system monitor to show me the free ram. I opened WINDOWS help. The available ram fell by 1 MB.

I opened IE5 and the available ram fell by 7 MB.

Mike Engles

I'm afraid in help systems you are outmaneuvered. Ask yourself; what is Help's primary function? It is to help the user of course. Winhelp is specifically designed for help systems, and its facilities are better suited for them than HTML's. How Winhelp looks is completely irrelevant; it does what it's supposed to do more effectively than anything else out there. Plus, it's standardized, which makes it more accessible to users who may not be familiar with XaraX's help system. These are often the people who need the most help. System resources, while not a concern for powerful workstations, are often a concern for those using borderline systems, often because they're only casual users; again, the people who need help most. I have yet to find an HTML help system that is both comprehensive and comprehensible.

Ed, I fully agree with you. Being very new to Xara and to graphics programs in general, I downloaded the Movies for CorelXara. They are better than any help system. I also downloaded all the tutorials Gary Priester has made for CorelXara and Xara X. Using them together is far superior to trying to use WinHelp or HTML help systems.

I mentioned the HtmlHelp system merely as an alternative/inhancement to using the older WinHelp.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Yes, I totally agree with Ed here: Xara's movies are great! And I've never claimed that Xara's Help is bad in terms of the information, it's VERY good. It's the WinHelp system I cannot stand.

K
    K

Some weeks ago, I complained about XaraX still using the ugly and archaic Windows Help system, instead of HTM. But I got shouted down by both Xara and a few users. Today, I get my Photoshop 6 upgrade (a truly great upgrade, go and get it!), and discover to my delight that at least Adobe agrees with me - witness the lovely Help page attached below. Unlike XaraX's wordy, graphics-depleted Help, they have plenty of highly instructive screenshots. And they have a fine search system, too!

But then, what does Adobe know when it comes to software?

K

[This message was edited by Klaus Nordby on December 09, 2000 at 11:04 AM.]
    K

Big Frank, I like your Frankness! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

K
    K