Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Another question? Tracing a Bitmap Shape

Hello once again..
    I must be thick for I keep reading the help file and the tutors but I cannot export from Xara X to X#D (which I purchased) I was with the help of this forum to sping the UN medal but this graphic does not do what I want. I wish to export this graphic to 3D
    when I try in Xtreme I traced the image with a black line, then I tried to follow the help file but all I get in 3D is a square block? can you tell me what I am doing wrong..
    thanks
    Skip
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 03 February 2006 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Give the thread a more meaningful name,

Default Re: another question?

Hi Skip,

No this bitmap won't export easily. To export into Xara3D you must have a vector shape. That is, draw a line all the way around the outer edge of the shape you require and import (or paste) this shape into Xara3D. You can't just import or paste a bitmap as all you get, as you discovered, is a rectangle.

I think on your UN medal you just used a circle shape & applied the medal bitmap as a texture. This won't work with a complex shape like this. Firstly you have to create the outline shape in XaraX and then import this into Xara3D. You can then use the bitmap image as a texture.

I attach a XaraX file with the required shape.

Egg
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 02 February 2006 at 08:20 PM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Wow Egg, nice work! - Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill
    Hi Skip,

No this bitmap won't export easily. To export into Xara3D you must have a vector shape. That is, draw a line all the way around the outer edge of the shape you require and import (or paste) this shape into Xara3D. You can't just import or paste a bitmap as all you get, as you discovered, is a rectangle.

I think on your UN medal you just used a circle shape & applied the medal bitmap as a texture. This won't work with a complex shape like this. Firstly you have to create the outline shape in XaraX and then import this into Xara3D. You can then use the bitmap image as a texture.

I attach a XaraX file with the required shape.

Egg
    Good Grief:
    That is wonderful could you write all the steps down as to how it was done
    I like to learn what did I do wrong I can see you did exactly what I want to do
    thanks so much. Remember my brain kinda stopped when I got out of the service now I am trying to wake it up
    Skip

By the way I did draw a shape around it
    and save it as XAR file but I keep getting the same
    thing nothing there!!!

Cheers Andrew.

Skip

This may seem very difficult, but it's the best way to learn vector graphics. Once you've mastered the Shape Editor tool it becomes very quick and you'll be flying along at a rate of knots.

Part 1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!Export.gif 
Views:	275 
Size:	109.0 KB 
ID:	23347  
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 02 February 2006 at 07:23 PM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Tut2

Views:	278 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	23348  
    Egg

part3

Views:	264 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	23351  
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 02 February 2006 at 07:52 PM.
    Egg

Final stage

Views:	267 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	23352  
    Egg

wow! nicely done! WRITE A BOOK!!!!!!!!!