Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Scaleable vector graphics (.SVG) files

This sounds like something Xtreme should be able to read, perhaps with a wee plugin or something?

Or does anyone know of anything that wil convert SVG to something Xara can understand -- as a vector image? I know of things that will display SVG files and save raster snapshots of them, but that loses the smooth scaleability of vectors.
    Anton

Default Re: Scaleable vector graphics (.SVG) files

There is an SVG plug-in under development. Xara are sponsoring an open-source project to convert from Xar to SVG and SVG or Xar. It will eventually be a plug-in option. It's relatively early days but is coming along nicely. It's not at a state that end-users can do much with it, but if you're a techy and don't mind some Perl hacking it does now convert basic vectors to and from SVG.

Attached the famous SVG tiger, which converts from SVG and back again.

But this doesn't cope with much beyond the basic vector shapes, flat colors, and that's about it. No transparency, grad fills, bitmaps or text yet.

You can find out more here:
    http://www.scratchcomputing.com/proj...ber-converter/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SVG_Tiger.png 
Views:	292 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	23006  

Default Re: Scaleable vector graphics (.SVG) files

Thanks, Charles. I should have guessed you'd already got a bead on it!

I'll pass on the Perl hacking, but it sounds like it'll do what I want for now.

For anyone who might wonder, my query came from finding dyne:bolic, which claims: "Dyne:bolic GNU/Linux is a live bootable cd, containing a whole operating system that works straight from boot, without the need to install or change anything on the hard disk." I downloaded it, and found that a CD label had already been produced for it, but it was an SVG file which I couldn't conveniently drop into my Xara CD label template. (I worked around it by taking the PDF version of the label, enlarging it enormously to minimise pixellation, and using Adobe Reader's copy image tool to grab a raster version which I pasted into Xara.)
    Anton