Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: green vase

Default green vase

just another still life from me, composition not quite there but hope you like it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vase4.png 
Views:	472 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	22983  

Thumbs up Re: green vase

I think it very nice Tim - Very Pretty Flowers too.
    Tom - Hwy101

Default Re: green vase

Oh ...it is so nice ..a treat to eyes.
    Last edited by AKHTARAMIN; 08 January 2006 at 08:58 AM.

Tim.

I like it! It is pretty and enjoyable to look at.

Many moons (and many threads) ago now, Jens Benthien gave some advice in a 3D thread to someone, about objects picking up colour from the environment they are in (paraphrazed). Which of course is true... The great thing is that his advice can also help things "come together" for any medium and subject matter.

Yes, I'm sure "rules" can be broken in all kinds of ways, and still work beautifullly. But when it comes imagery that is close to a "real life" view/perception of things (as here), the viewer is used to seeing things a certain way. Picking up some of the backgroud colour (if even ever so slightly) in to your main subject matter (in the highlights perhaps...) might make the different colours seem more "coherent".

The colour of the leaves and vase are also very similiar - making one or the other ever so slightly of a different hue and/or value, will make the two more seem more like two different objects. When it come to seeing what works, or doesn't work in your image, a quick trick is to "squint" -- if what you see is not important (to you) - change things around. Turning things in to grayscale might also help you see if you made (to you) things stand out where they were supposed to.

From the above writing it might seem like I have do "all that stuff" myself - well, I don't... Sometimes I don't "care/didn't have the time", other times I "forgot" - but really, most often my things are not this 'complicated' - and taking "liberties" with "things" ends up being "different" - or doesn't matter as much... (To me...)

In all - it is an illustration that I enjoyed viewing! Just trying to give you a few ideas to explore and play around with.

Thanks for sharing, Tim!
    Last edited by RTK; 08 January 2006 at 09:22 AM.

Gosh Risto never thought of that one, taking a bitmapped copy, turning that into a greyscale to see the tones. I will need to try and engrain that one into to the grey matter. Thank you!
    Design is thinking made visual.

As always thanks for the nice comments and suggestions. Risto, I've taken your advice, changed the color of the vase, changed the color of some of the leaves, adding a somewhat warmer color, rearranged and omitted some of the composition. I would be interested in your opinion of this one. You are correct that I don't strive for photo realism, I'm most interested in color and composition, so your comments were most interesting to me. Not being a trained artist, I make so many fundamental mistakes that I don't even notice. Thats what has always been so great about talkgraphics, it's like a free art class. Especially now that we are back to positive comments and suggestions again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reworked vase.png 
Views:	430 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	22991  

Absolutely beautiful!

Really nice, Tim.
    ron

Very nice Tim. Risto's advice is great. Your second image appears to have more 'life'.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Your still-life images are great, Tim. They are so soothing to my busy mind!
    Lonnie