Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Need your input to my first website attempt

Just a very quick suggestion about printing. You might like to add a 'printing' section and advise people to switch the page format (File->Page Setup in internet explorer) to be landscape rather than portrait - that way the page won't be cut off when printed (though the printed layout will then be rather shorter vertically than in portrait mode).

Paul
    IP

Wow,what reaction to this thread thank you all very much, especially Paul for all your advise. First of all I'll answer Bill Taylor's question. In the early 1930's prior to WW2 The Royal Canadian Air Force adopted this motto for their heraldic crest "Per Ardua Ad Astra" which means "Through Adversity to the Stars" so Bill you were very close. Our assoc. is made up of serving & retired Canadian Airman and we adopted the the same motto just after WW2. The RAF and USAF also have similar associations.
    Paul your outstanding, your finding things I never thought of. Thank you. I think I've become blind to things like the date you mentioned, also I never thought about the width of the page for printing. My main concern when building the site was a lot of the membership just have dial-up internet service in this area. So I tried to keep everything small enough to download easily for them. With you advice I should be able to make it easier to download.

Thank you all again
    Bob
    IP

You're welcome. My father (no longer with us) was a rear gunner during WWII in a Sunderland flying boat. He never really talked much about his experiences and just like so many people discover, I wish I'd asked him so many things when he was still with us. In many ways there's a sense of irony because as a part of the crew on a flying boat, he couldn't swim!

For part of the war he was based in Florida & the Bahamas - supposedly training our US friends in some way. I've seen plenty of palm trees in the old photos.

Paul
    IP

Paul; I know what you mean, my uncle flew lancs and halifaxs as a bombardier for the RCAF out of England and he wouldn't talk about the war either. Must have been a terrible thing to go through. But it was enough to influence me to join our Air Force after the Korean War. For 23 years I never left Canada or seen foreign duty so I have no idea of what WW2 people went through. After I retired from the Air Force, I became a military (civilan) graphic artist at the air base in our town. I've met all kinds of young Air Force people from all the NATO forces and enjoyed talking to them especially the Brits and kids from Holland. I've met some fantasic artists (airman) from the Dutch Air Force they use to come to my shop to do work for their commanders. I finally retired 6 years after 20 years as a graphic artist and now enjoy doing graphics for our assoc.
    Bob
    IP

This has nothing to do with the current post.>I log into the forum, write up my reply. When I go to post it I have to log in again then a screen says the thread is invalid. So if I go to BACK and work backwards to the reply screen and hit the submit button again I can finally get the thread to upload. Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong please.
    Bob
    IP