Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Cool Can't fill the shape of Gail Robertson's hint

Hi All,

I just got Xara Extreme in anticipation of the Mac version. I am running it on my Mac using MS's Virtual PC, and other than an extremely long start-up time (minutes) it seems OK. I am also using Xara Extreme on an Intel powered tablet pc in the slate form (a poor-man's WACOM Cintiq) that I bought on eBay.

In looking over the Week 9 Helpful Hints I liked the overlapping lines effect of Gail Robertson's Filled shape tip; however, I can't fill the shape of the combined lines. Add fill color by dragging the color swatch doesn't work except on the lines, it doesn't recognize the shape.

Is there something else that I need to do after combining the lines with Arrange > Combine Shapes to create the fillable shape, or is this an Xara capability that the Extreme version has eliminated?

Cheers,

John

Default Re: Can't fill the shape of Gail Robertson's hint

Hello John & Welcome.
    The explanation is
    Gail Robertson offers this nifty tip for creating a filled shape using overlapping paths. Draw several paths and let the ends overlap. Select the paths and Arrange > Combine Shapes... Add Shapes. Add a fill color. Then Arrange > Break Shapes. Delete the overlapping lines. Results: a shape that is now a closed path and to which fills may be applied.
    When you add the fill colour, nothing will change.
    However, when you Arrange / Break Shapes, you should see the fill colour.
    Let's know how you get on with it.
    Egg
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host