Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Acrylic system requirements

Microsoft says in one place that XP with sp2 is required and in another that it is recommended. Has anyone ran Acrylic with Windows XP with sp1 and how did it behave? I am still running on sp1 but would like to try Acrylic. I have Expession, like it a lot, but would like to see what Microsoft has added. Thanks.

Default Re: Acrylic system requirements

I answered my own question. No, it will not install unless sp2 is installed.

I ran Acrylic without SP2 and didn't encounter any problems though that would have been an earlier release. My present installation is on a machine with SP2 I admit.
    I'll try and install it on an SP2 free machine to see what happens out of interest.
    Derek
    Last edited by masque; 11 December 2005 at 09:39 AM.

I take it all back, this version won't install without SP2.
    Given that SP2 seems to cause as many problems as it solves I find that a shame as I was going to re-install windows without SP2 on the machine I use most of the time. Now it seems that as I like and use Acrylic I have to keep it as it is.
    Derek

My own experience...

SP2 behaves just fine for me - I use the automatic updates so it probably has subsequent tweaks. I very rarely have a reboot-requiring problem - maybe once a month - and who knows if it was not because of some other vendor.
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

There were several discussions on the Microsoft/Expression forum about an install other than SP2. There were discussions about install problems depening on how the application was downloaded. I would be better to ask there.

Derek,

I have been working on a method for map feathering, and selective feathering with image strokes.

Rich

I install the updates when informed. I did that last night and shut the computer down which installed the updates. Re-started this morning and the soundcard had disappeared and perversly the AVG anti-virus software I use was disabled. I just seem to get more little time consuming irritations of that sort since installing SP2. Just looking for something to blame maybe but 4 other computers in the house without SP2 don't have problems at all.

Derek

Acrylic runs though.
    Last edited by masque; 11 December 2005 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by masque
    I install the updates when informed. I did that last night and shut the computer down which installed the updates. Re-started this morning and the soundcard had disappeared and perversly the AVG anti-virus software I use was disabled. I just seem to get more little time consuming irritations of that sort since installing SP2. Just looking for something to blame maybe but 4 other computers in the house without SP2 don't have problems at all.
    Important is that you close every program, everything that is non microsoft related and visible in the task manager. Check the compatibility pages for issues: http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=fh%3bln%3bxpsp2swhw

I installed SP2 on 3 local computers and never encountered any problem, not then or weeks or months later. Good luck.