Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default vector creating problem

Hi peeps,'

I am using XARA X to trace the image from a PNG file in order to create a vectorised EMF for use with XARA 3D6 I am new to this so if I seem STOOOPID (DUH) please forgive me. I have attached a couple of images which show my problem. When I trace a letter (the attached A for example) the center of the A becomes part of the block. How do I cut the centre hole?

Please bear in mind that I am a newcomer to this type of task and not really familiar with the jargon. I would appreciate any advice on how to perform this task as at the moment it is causing premature baldness.

thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tA image.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	6.0 KB 
ID:	22581   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	heart&soul2.png 
Views:	248 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	22609  

Last edited by gwpriester; 10 December 2005 at 05:10 PM.

Default Re: vestor creating problem

You need to draw the shape for the hole and use Arrange shapes function. You can subtract or intersect...

My example is the method subtracting multiple objects at one time. You can subtract is groups as well.

Rich

Name:	Subtract.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	22583  

hey futureg,

it is as easy as cutting out cookies. Draw the outline of the "letter", then draw the "donut hole". Select both the "letter" and the "donut hole" by marquee selecting (click and drag around both shapes). Then click arrange - combine shapes - subtract shapes. And like magic, da donut hole is gone...

the "Subtracting objects" movie gives you a 5 minute demo... can't beat it.

Thanks John.

That was exactlywhat I wanted to hear. Good call!!!

Default Re: vector creating problem (Help!!)

Apart from this appears to make a bitmap image with no vector edge lines. Vector Letter shapes is what I am trying to achieve. This would let me import the letter shapes into Xara 3d as an emf. The solution that you suggest does not end up with any edge lines or I am I being stoopid again???

Hey Futureg,
    Remember that not everyone who uses this forum has a broadband connection. Please resize and optimize your images before posting.
    This one is over 700K !
    You can use Xara's Webstyle program to do this easily.
    Thanks! - Andrew

Cool Re: vector creating problem

I took the liberty of making the large image smaller.

Futureg - Please keep your images no wider than 650 pixels at 96dpi.

In the case of the large image posted here, there was nothing in the image that was not more clearly explained in your black and white image.

If you switch to Outline view (Window > Quality > Outline) you would probably see that the cut out part of the letter is there, but hidden behind the outline of the letter shape. Select the counter (the object inside of the letter) and the letter outline and Arrange > Join Shapes.

Gary

Name:	join_shapes.png 
Views:	223 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	22611  
    Last edited by gwpriester; 10 December 2005 at 05:11 PM. Reason: adding illustration if you must know

I had posted vector artwork for you, what you wanted was already there. A vector drawing can be changed to what I posted by adding a gradient, a plugin effect, and small vector shapes on top to make the more subtle highlights.

It started out as a black vector drawing. And it is all right there, you can convert it back.

But, I think it is better you follow what Gary has shown you, because you need to have a basic vocabulary so you can ask for what you need.

If you go back to the drawing I posted, download it, the top drawing is grouped, ungroup it, drag the type out from under the highlights I pasted on top. Remove the plugin effect. Change the gradient fill to black and you are back where you could have been to start with. It didn't take that long to draw the letters. I took much longer to find the plugin and then to touch up highlights that were lacking.

This is the beauty of vector illustration, is that it remains completely editable. You need to use it to know how it works, and this is something that experience will teach you.

We often post pick apart files here, and I posted one. It wasn't in layers. I have made a layered file where you can turn off the effects.

Vector art does not work the same as rastered art like Photoshop. If you are familiar with layers, you should be able to navigate the file.

I have posted the new pickapart file here. But you should go back and look at the orignal posting because it was all vector then too.

The orginal file was posted on this thread:http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=19379

If you download both files, you'll have to change one of their names if you have it in the same folder, or you'll be asked which one you want to keep and which one to discard. You probably would want to keep the new file which is in layers posted as the attachement to this post.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by sallybode; 10 December 2005 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Regarding having two files of the same name