Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: New Xtreme trial available (December 1)

Hey Daniel,

If the manual is based on the software, and the software is still in flux, then the manual will be too... they are just at the point where they can start putting the finishing touches on the manual. Have you ever done any tech writing?

You're right John, sorry. Can't imagine why I expected a '200 page printed manual' to have been delivered over two months after it went on sale!

I must have misunderstood the "Please allow up to 28 days for your CD and Manual to arrive" bit because I got the email on 18 November to say the CDs were about 10 working days + a week away (I think that was last Thursday actually) but there was no mention of the manuals except Anthony's near-boasting that they're not ready yet. I've done plenty of tech writing thanks, mine is usually done on time - but I don't have the Xara gig.

btw it says dec 7th now in the about box (just redownloaded)

bb,

FLy

Until you get the UI down pat, how can you write a manual for it? I for one am not surprised at the delay for the manual...

Quote Originally Posted by John Rayner
    Until you get the UI down pat, how can you write a manual for it?
    You're not "supposed" to be figuring out the UI at the last minute. Features are specified well before then, and when the product doesn't match the specification, it's called a "bug." In working with dozens of commercial products, the manual is always written alongside the programming effort. They are timed so the printed manual and the software are ready for distribution on the same date. In fact, I don't know of any situations where the manual was on the "critical path" and held up software release.

Have there been UI changes to Xara Xtreme since they started selling pre-orders?

Merry
    Last edited by MerryOtter; 13 December 2005 at 03:12 PM.

yep...